cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R8 Stuck Shutter

chkrd
Contributor

Upgraded from an M50 with a stuck shutter to an R8 which now seems to be victim of it as well. Fires one photo, shutter sticks closed, and then re-opens after a power cycle. Any advice/insight as to what could be causing it? Pretty disappointed I’ve had two cameras seemingly brick themselves now.IMG_6185.jpeg

12 REPLIES 12

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

Retest the camera without the battery grip on it. The camera wasn't designed for one. Also what lenses and batteries are you using. 3rd Party EF lenses or Mount adapter. Canon brand EF lenses, Mount adapter and batteries. Retest the camera how it came from factory with no accessories. Stick with the Canon brand battery and native RF lens or adapted Canon EF lens to see if it still happens.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Ran through a few different combinations with the battery grip and lenses. It looks like it might be a specific battery issue, or at least was so far. Hopefully it was just a faulty battery and it will no longer be an issue.

Discontinue the use of the battery grip the camera wasn't designed for one either 1st Party and 3rd Party. Stick with the OEM Canon battery in the camera.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

The battery grip hasn’t given me any issues, nor was it on at the time of the failure.

Ok I thought you still had it attached to the camera.

-Demetrius

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Demetrius,

Agree.  I was just going to ask what that was mounted to the camera.   

shadowsports_0-1716067415080.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@shadowsports In another thread the OP reported that their last camera did the same thing. I'm thinking their using a faulty device between both cameras. Its rare to see 2 different cameras having the exact same problem.

-Demetrius

Unfortunately not; the M50 is definitely done for good, and didn’t share any components with my R8.

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:
As my respected colleagues have commented, it is extremely unlikely that two individual cameras of different models will exhibit the same issue, so it is worth looking at the configuration  - by which I mean what lenses are being used or other devices, SD cards (full size of micro with adapter), batteries.  Also agree with my colleagues that taking the 3rd party battery grip away is a good starting point to reduce the factors involved.
Also, what mode(s) are you shooting in please - M, Av, Tv, etc.?

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
click here to view the gallery
Announcements