cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R7 subject tracking

firstmirrorless
Contributor

I have a question about the subject tracking feature on the R7. Of note, I use back button focus. My question: Once the camera has locked onto its subject and is tracking it around the viewfinder, is it also focusing on it? Or is it only tracking it without focusing? Do I need to be pressing the BB focus button to get it to focus? Also of note, when I DO press the back button focus, the white tracking squares disappear and the square goes back to being the blue servo color. Some imperfect experimentation suggests that it's tracking-only, not focusing, which makes me sad.

Anyone got a quick answer for this one?

Big thank yous!

15 REPLIES 15

Subject Tracking and AF are 2 completely different things. If you want the camera to AF you need to tell it. By using the BBF you've set up. I don't think you completely understand how your camera works. Read up on the features your camera has in the manual. Canon provides an electronic copy free of charge. EOS R7 Manual 

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Your judgment is noted.

Billy-Bob
Apprentice

First, check your menu under AF1. Is Continuous AF enabled or disabled? If enabled, disable it.

Then the answer would be: Pressing the BBF button acquires initial focus. With the BBF button remains pressed, focus is automatically maintained on the subject while it or your camera moves and is being tracked.

cid69
Apprentice

Geez. Firstmirrorless I have the same question....and before everyone chimes in to tell me in a snide way that I don't know how my camera works....you're right! I wouldn't be asking the question if I knew how this works. Simple question requires a simple answer. With back button focusing do I need to continue to depress the back button when subject tracking locks on to a subject. Yes or no please.

@cid69 wrote:

Geez. Firstmirrorless I have the same question....and before everyone chimes in to tell me in a snide way that I don't know how my camera works....you're right! I wouldn't be asking the question if I knew how this works. Simple question requires a simple answer. With back button focusing do I need to continue to depress the back button when subject tracking locks on to a subject. Yes or no please.

Yes, you need to keep pressing BBF.  I explained this multiple times to the OP.

The problem is not being unfamiliar how a camera works.  The problem is not being familiar with how a camera works and declaring long established behaviors are bugs in the camera firmware and demand that they be corrected. 

“It should work like the way I want it to work.”

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Tea_and_Me
Apprentice

Hello, I would like to add that if you want the R7 to have constant tracking, you can enable that in AF menu tab 3 "Preview AF" select Enable. This will keep subjects in constant focus, will drain the battery, but is useful in some cases.

Announcements