cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R7 customization SET button

Seawrenity
Contributor

Hi All, I hope someone can answer this question for me.  I have recently upgraded from the 7D MKii to the R7.  I am very familiar with customizing buttons.  
I am attempting to customize the SET button to magnify the image in playback mode.  I had this set on my 7D. When reviewing photos it was easy to press set which would zoom in and then use the rocker panel to move around the frame. However, when I try to customize this way, it doesn’t work.

According to the customization chart, this should be doable.  

Seawrenity_0-1705775128634.jpeg

Am I doing something wrong?  Thanks for any advice.

13 REPLIES 13

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

That Magnify function might apply to when the camera is in a shooting mode.  If you wish to magnify images in Playback mode, then use the button at the top right corner.  Instead of dedicated magnify button, some buttons change their functionality when the camera is in different modes.

F7AE3454-D086-409E-9963-75305BFC94C1.jpeg

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for your response, Waddiizzle.  I was aware of using the magnify button, but the customization chart explicitly states that the set button can be customized to “magnify images during playback” which was the way I had it set on the 7D. It is a better fit for me.   I’m just wondering if the chart is wrong or I am doing something wrong.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Okay, if that function should apply to Playback Mode, then why do you think it is not functioning as it should?  

If you press [SET] and nothing seems to happen, that is probably normal.  The default magnification factor for Playback Mode and the default magnification factor for Magnification Mode are the same.

Repeated press on [SET] are not going to change the magnification.  All that will do is enter and exit magnification mode.

See, that’s what’s different from the 7D customization.  On that camera, after assigning the set button to magnify, when I want to review the photos magnified (usually to check my focus), I do the following:

Press playback button, my image appears, then press set and it magnifies.  I then use control dial to zoom in and out, and the rocker around the set button to view different areas of the image.  

On the R7, I am not repeatedly pressing set.  I press the playback button and then press set.  At that point, I should have the magnified image to view.  Maybe the R7 doesn’t customize this way, but the Canon chart says you can.  You are supposed to be able to  customize the set button to “magnify during playback” or any number of other settings.

Forget about the 7D for a few minutes.  This camera might work a little differently.

These custom functions are not always well documented in the User Manual.  They like to put the documentation in the camera.  When you program the control with that function selection, is there an option to press [INFO]?

Have you tried to use the regular magnify button?  After you program it, do you see the little “magnify window” after you press [SET] during Playback Mode?

Maybe you have to keep pressing [SET] while you turn the Main Wheel?

Hi, yes, I have used the regular magnify button without a problem.  However, I always customize buttons to best suit my shooting style.  That’s the purpose of customization, right?  I appreciate your help in trying to figure this out.  I honestly think it is a glitch with the camera.  Here are a couple of screen shots:

1. Customization screen

Seawrenity_0-1705937826265.jpeg

2. My selection for customizing the SET button

Seawrenity_1-1705937928010.jpeg

3.  What I get if I press the SET button in playback mode.

Seawrenity_2-1705938668402.jpeg

What else would the customization I have set mean?

Is that the display when you press the [PLAY] button?  Where is the exposure information?  That looks more like the JPEG editor or RAW to JPEG editor.

@Seawrenity wrote:

Hi, yes, I have used the regular magnify button without a problem. 

3.  What I get if I press the SET button in playback mode.

Seawrenity_2-1705938668402.jpeg

What else would the customization I have set mean?

Did you post an image from your 7D in edit mode?  Why?  I asked you to forget about the 7D, so that we can figure out how the R7 works.

This is what R7 Playback mode looks like.

D32F2EB3-F88A-4A04-A438-CA441278684F.jpeg

No the image is on my R7.  Here is the image on the back of the camera.  I have pressed nothing but the playback button so that I can see my image without distractions.

Seawrenity_0-1705943046983.jpeg

If I want to see more info, I merely push the info button.  
So, I have my photo on the screen in playback mode.  Now I push the SET button.  I should see my photo magnified/zoomed in as described in the customization window.  Instead, I see the screen which you describe as the editing screen.

something is not right.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements