cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R5 + macOS Sonoma 14.6.1 + EOS Webcam Utility Pro: USB Issue (Need Help or Workaround)

adamgross
Apprentice

This all started because I wanted to use my R5 for a Zoom interview. I promise I AM smart lol ... but I've devoted an embarrassingly long amount of time to this.

The Setup:

- Canon R5 (running the latest firmware)

- 2021 MacBook Pro (M1) and 2018 MacBook Pro (Intel i7), both on macOS Sonoma 14.6.1

- Connecting via Thunderbolt 4/USB-C cable

- Using Canon EOS Webcam Utility Pro (Yes, I’ve tried all the USB ports)

Here’s the kicker: I can connect my R5 to both machines, and it shows up perfectly in Image Capture for downloading images. It’s also recognized by Canon EOS Utility 3—I can get live view and everything.

But when I try to use EOS Webcam Utility Pro, the app just doesn’t recognize the camera. The only video sources that pop up are my MacBook Pro webcam and iPhone (which isn’t even connected). I even tried to get it to connect via Wi-Fi, but it wouldn’t fully connect. It’s maddening because everything else shows up as a video source except the R5.

What I’ve Tried:

- Multiple machines and cables (same issue on both MacBooks)

- Resetting all settings on the R5 to factory default

- Ensuring the camera is in video mode (which, by the way, why does it even need to be in video mode for a webcam feature?)

- Spent over an hour on the phone with Canon support, but we hit a dead end

- Tried all the USB-C ports and even a second cable just to rule it out

What’s Especially Frustrating:

- This issue isn't new for me—I had the same problem with my Canon 5D Mark IV, and it's 2024, so we’ve moved beyond capture cards and extra equipment for this kind of task.

- It’s hard to believe that a $4,000 R5 and a cutting-edge MacBook Pro can’t just plug and play.

- And yes, I understand it needs a middleman (EOS Webcam Utility Pro), but it’s bizarre that the app recognizes my iPhone as a video source when the R5, which is clearly connected and even visible in other Canon software, doesn’t appear.

- I’ve even paid for the EOS Webcam Utility Pro subscription after seeing how well it works in YouTube videos (but they always seem to be using smaller Canon cameras, not the R5).

I’m really hoping someone here has a workaround, advice, or even just some insight into what might be going wrong. I want to avoid going the HDMI capture card route because it feels absurd that this feature should require additional hardware when I can see the video feed just fine in EOS Utility 3.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This shouldn’t be so hard! Thanks in advance!

2 REPLIES 2

adamgross
Apprentice

The bullet points to my problem are... 

- Canon R5 not recognized by EOS Webcam Utility Pro on macOS Sonoma 14.6.1.

- Tested on 2021 MacBook Pro (M1) and 2018 MacBook Pro (Intel i7) with Thunderbolt 4/USB-C cable.

- Camera shows up fine in Image Capture and EOS Utility 3 with live view, but not in Webcam Utility Pro.

- Only MacBook webcam and iPhone (not connected) show as video sources in the app.

- Tried multiple machines, cables, resetting camera settings, video mode, and Canon tech support—no success.

- Would prefer not to use HDMI capture card as EOS Utility 3 shows the video feed just fine.

- Looking for a workaround or advice to fix the issue.

adamgross
Apprentice

in summary.. The Canon R5 is recognized by macOS and works fine with EOS Utility 3 for live view, but the camera isn’t being detected by the EOS Webcam Utility Pro software. Despite trying multiple machines, cables, and troubleshooting steps, the camera won’t show as a video source in the webcam utility.

Announcements