cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R10 focal length does not match lens.

Stribling
Apprentice

When using my EF70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM on my R10, the lens displays the converted focal length (i.e 112) but the R10 displays the full frame focal length (i.e 70).  WIll this be fixed in firmware or is there a reason for it?

4 REPLIES 4

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Because the focal length is 70mm. The camera reports what the lens is set at, not what some equivalent might be. I argue that the *lens* is displaying it wrong.

There is a place to contact canon about suggestions like this, but my google-foo failed me.

You can find the feedback link at the very bottom of the Canon USA home page

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/General-Discussion/Product-suggestions-feedback-gone/m-p/404955#M... 

(Thanks to Ricky)

krahe
Rising Star
Rising Star

What if you had an EF-S 70-300mm lens on your R10 set at 70mm? You would still get the same FOV at the camera sensor as you're getting at 70mm from the EF 70-300mm, the camera would still report it as 70mm, but in that case the lens would also show 70mm. The 112 currently being reported by the lens is meaningless if your only frame of reference in the world of photography is the R10. Only if you have experience with full-frame cameras or for some other reason want to relate the FOV you're getting to what it would be on a full-frame camera with the same lens would the 112 mean anything to you. As kvbarkley said, I would argue that the lens is wrong.

Kevin Rahe
EOS M50 Mark II

Peter
Authority
Authority

Camera is right.

Announcements