cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS Rebel T5 - How to hide the autofocus box when using HDMI

Creakudoor
Apprentice

I have an EOS Rebel T5, and I am using HDMI output to stream video. I do not want the auto-focus box from the HDMI output.

I put it into Live mode so it's doing face detection, but the problem is that there are faces, so the box jumps around.  I also tried the trick of flipping the camera upside down to "trick" the face detection, which actually works, but feels super hacky.

I also tried setting the lens to "MF" instead of "AF", but that made the focus box for me even bigger.

Are there other solutions for this problem that I haven't tried yet.

8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Creakudoor wrote:

I have an EOS Rebel T5, and I am using HDMI output to stream video. I do not want the auto-focus box from the HDMI output.

I put it into Live mode so it's doing face detection, but the problem is that there are faces, so the box jumps around.  I also tried the trick of flipping the camera upside down to "trick" the face detection, which actually works, but feels super hacky.

I also tried setting the lens to "MF" instead of "AF", but that made the focus box for me even bigger.

Are there other solutions for this problem that I haven't tried yet.

T5?  Nonsense.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle, I'm not sure what you're saying?  That it should work with what I tried?  Or that it shouldn't work?

Yes, it's an EOS Rebel T5.

Tim
Authority

Creakudoor, 

There is a button on the back of the camera marked Display (DISP.).  If you press this, it will change the onscreen displays.  Cycle through until you get the correct display to fit your needs. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

@Tim, I tried this, and it does not solve what I am trying to solve.  It cycles through showing different things on the screen or not, but ultimately does not hide the Autofocus box in the center of the screen.

It sounds like you're looking for "Clean HDMI Out?"

The T5 does not have this.

You can see the models that we currently recommend for live streaming here: canon.us/livestream

More models will be added to the EOS Webcam Utility as the software is developed, so we recommend signing up to be notified when your camera is supported. 

Yes, sounds like that's what I need to do what I want.

Do you know if the T5 is on the consideration list to be added to this utility in the future?

I have the T6 which is on the list. When I use the USB output to my laptop as a webcam it works fine. However, if I use the HDMI output to go into a lide streaming box (no PC interface) I also have the autofocus box appearing on the screen and cannot find a way to hide it. 

This really should be a simple fix. What can be done?

The T6 is in the list but does not have CLEAN OUTPUT. Is the T6 supposed to have clean output via HDMI since it is on the list?

Announcements