cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS R7 Question

CamerauserR7
Apprentice

To all

I recently bought a canon R7 and I purchased a book on how to use it.  I am amazed at the quality of the pictures.  I have two questions. 

1.  I have a 18-150 and a 100-400 lens.  Everyone I know including myself like the pictures taken with the 100-400 lens.  Is there an option that is closer to the 18-150 that is just as good as the 100-400?  I like taking close up shots but also like to get just a little farther.

2.  After taking pictures, I have two prograde 1TB cards in the camera, Since this past friday I have filled both chips up.  2 TB's worth of pictures and video.  Question I have is is it worth having the raw picture also saved on the chip.  I will not be doing any editing.  This is just pictures of my son's playing baseball and the pictures are amazing.  I don't mind spending the money for memory cards but if I don't need the raw files, which up coming up as cr3 files, then that would save me significant space.   Space is not an issue on my computer, I have 4 24TB HD's that are backed up to the cloud. 

Thanks again

2 REPLIES 2

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Look for an "L" lens in the focal range you are interested in, L lenses are the highest quality. But I really doubt that is the issue. Why are the images better in one lens over the other?

Most folks here feel that you have to shoot RAW. I find JPEG is just fine.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Glad to hear you are enjoying your camera.  Please note, using your camera as a storage repository is not a good idea.  You need to move these images and videos to your PC and take advantage of your local and cloud based back up storage.  

Your cards are rather large for capturing images. I use 512GB CF ExpressB for video and 256GB for images.  I have several and will often switch them out during a day of shooting.  This is to protect from data loss.  2-4 smaller cards is a better way to go.  Putting all your "eggs" in one basket is risky.  I do not recommend it.  😉

Type of images you capture.  RAW files offer the ultimate flexibility for editing.  They provide the greatest leeway and control.  RAW files can be converted to .JPGs too.  .JPG is great for immediate distribution and sharing.  However, the format lacks the creative control offered by RAW format.  Something to keep in mind.  You don't have to capture in both formats (I do) but its completely up to you.  In time, I believe you will learn to appreciate the capabilities RAW format offers.  Canon offers DPP - Digital Photo Professional.   Its a great free image editor that supports .CR3, .JPG, video files, and lens profiles captured by your camera.  I suggest you check it out.  You might really like it.

Your lenses are fine for the type of images you are capturing.  They should work well for outdoor daytime baseball.  If you want to step up, the RF 100-500 is a fantastic lens.  Its quite a bit more money than a RF 100-400.  I think I'd spend some time with the 18-150 and 100-400.  I'd shoot in RAW and use DPP.  You may find the lens you have now are all you need.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements