cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS R3 Freeze-up Issue - The likely cause!

sbunting
Contributor

My friends,

I believe I found the issue causing freeze-ups in the Canon R3!!!

Recall the following:

1) I experienced freeze-ups with my Canon R3 the first week I received it.

2) Canon CPS took the camera in for repair, replicated the issue, reinstalled the firmware, reset it to factory settings, tested it, found no more freeze-ups, declared it fixed and returned it to me.

3) I restored my settings manually and the freeze-ups still occurred.

4) Canon replaced my original R3 with a brand new R3

5) I updated my firmware to V1.1.1 and restored my settings from a CSD file this time, and the freeze-ups still occurred.

6) In all cases my freeze-ups were such that the buttons and dials would not respond (including power switch), yet touch functions still functioned including the smart controller. It would also freeze-up, at times, while asleep and could not be awakened. Of course, since the screen was black (asleep), no touch function could work. The only way to restore the camera was to pull the battery and then reboot the camera.

I have since, of course, contacted Canon and am awaiting a response, as Canon's engineering department seems to be in a denial mode, despite a Canon repair technician in Virginia having replicated the freeze-up issue when it first went in for repair.

I advised Canon that while I await their response, I was going to, one by one, change my settings to default and see if any particular setting eliminated the freeze-ups.

My first setting change was to restore the aperture and speed change dial settings to default, as I had them reversed. No change. I still had freeze-ups, so I restored my setting.

Next, I reasoned that, since the freeze-up even occurred while the camera was asleep, the only function I had changed that would involve activity during the sleep mode would be the GPS setting, which I had set to Mode 2. I disabled the GPS altogether. Since I have done so, I have left the camera on 24x7. Not once has it failed to awaken from sleep mode nor has it frozen at all while awake and being used. I have been testing for a solid week now (on 24x7) and I'm optimistic that this is the cause of the freeze-ups, as before I could rarely go a day without a freeze-up.  

I'm asking that some of you who are experiencing freeze-ups with the R3 such as I have been experiencing to check this setting and 1) verify it is enabled on your camera and 2) verify that by disabling it that the freeze-ups no longer occur.

Similarly, those of you who have an R3 and have experienced no freeze-ups, can you verify that your GPS is disabled.

Again, I'm optimistic that this is the issue, but I'd like to get feedback from others to verify what I'm experiencing before I approach Canon.

Steve

Canon EOS R3, Canon EOS R5, Canon 5D Mark IV, Canon 7D, Canon EF 14mm f2.8L USM, Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L, Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II USM, Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM, Canon EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM, Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM, Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS USM, Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro Lens, Canon RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM, Canon RF800mm F11 IS STM
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Lenses were with another post, but here goes.  All Canon L glass.  RF100-500, EF135, & EF17-35, the latter two with Canon adapters.  Complete Canon all the way.  CF card not an issue as it has occurred with the CF card removed.  Two different SD cards, both high end and so I think you can rule out SD cards.  The only thing I’ve done is disable GPS mode 2.  Boom, no more freeze up for two weeks running.

Canon EOS R3, Canon EOS R5, Canon 5D Mark IV, Canon 7D, Canon EF 14mm f2.8L USM, Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L, Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II USM, Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM, Canon EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM, Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM, Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS USM, Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro Lens, Canon RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM, Canon RF800mm F11 IS STM

View solution in original post

69 REPLIES 69

pavee99
Apprentice

Hi, my R3 have the same freeze up problem like yours. I use my camera everyday and it freeze around 4 times per week. I also update my R3 to the latest firmware and it doesn't solve the issue. After using the camera for 1 years and 3 months, I believe I found the setting that cause this issue. Starting from Aug 2022, I leave my GPS on (Either Mode 1 or 2) then I disable "GPS Auto time setting" and It's seems to work for me. My R3 is working as it should with GPS information update with reliable GEO Tag to most of my image. And this is 3 months and counting from last time of freeze up.

Hope this info help. Cheers!

Leaving wireless communications enabled, particularly Bluetooth, can cause the camera to seemingly lockup.  The camera may try to establish a connection if it comes within range of another enabled device, which could include the smart phone in your own pocket.

If you are not actively using wireless communication, then leave them disabled.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Correct! I always turn off Wifi and Bluetooth when not in use. It will drain the battery also.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

There hasn't been any activity on this thread since firmware v1.6.0 was released.  

Can any R3 owners provide feedback?  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

yes, no benefits for me, I sold it and tried r6ii, it works better for me, I have better AF, newer algorithms

I have installed 1.60, which mentions "slow to wake up" issues. I have shot a couple of events since, and would normally have had a couple freezes in the process, instead, I've had one "slow to wake up" and have gotten past it without pulling the battery.

Its not 100% fixed, but it's a lot better than it was 12 month's ago.

@HighOctanePhoto wrote:

I have installed 1.60, which mentions "slow to wake up" issues. I have shot a couple of events since, and would normally have had a couple freezes in the process, instead, I've had one "slow to wake up" and have gotten past it without pulling the battery.

Its not 100% fixed, but it's a lot better than it was 12 month's ago.

Thanks for the answer and confirming you installed v1.6.0 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

dariaomeravilha
Apprentice

Hi, i'm from italy.

I have the same problem, but i never used the gps. I'm using Canon R3 from April, and i taked about 215.000 pics, only with overheating problem.

Last week, for 5 times the camera freezed. I'm very afraid. I go to work always with a DSRL because a 5k dollars camera is not affidable 

@dariaomeravilha wrote:

Hi, i'm from italy.

I have the same problem, but i never used the gps. I'm using Canon R3 from April, and i taked about 215.000 pics, only with overheating problem.

Last week, for 5 times the camera freezed. I'm very afraid. I go to work always with a DSRL because a 5k dollars camera is not affidable 

Every user has a different set of circumstances that can manifest as similar, if not identical issues.  If you wish to discuss your issue than please start a new thread so that your description of your issue is at the top of the thread.  It becomes very confusing discussing similar issues with multiple members in the same thread.  Thanks, ahead of time.

For the record, if you do not use GPS, then verify that GPS is disabled.  Similarly, if you do not use Wi-Fi or Bluetooth, check to see that wireless communications are actually disabled, not just set to “Airplane Mode.”

Finally, make sure to format your memory cards in the camera prior to first use.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

EOSR3
Contributor

Just had this happen today with a brand new EOS R3.

Happened while shooting on a cold day.

Had just turned off HDR mode (I was getting weird auto exposure even though iso, shutter, and aperture were all locked)

and I got the red light with a completely unresponsive (power button failed) camera. had to pull out the battery.

On the latest firmware (1.6.0)

Announcements