cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS 7D Battery drain Issue

isad008
Contributor

Hello,

Last week I bought a new Canon EOS 7D body. Before starting to use the camera for the first time I fully charged my battery and started using it. I used the camera for one week. I shoot raw with back display always on and LCD brightness to very low. I took around 200 images, 10 with live view mode and 2-3 image with flash and a 30 sec video and my lens is 24-105 f/4 L. I turn off the camera when not in use. 

But after 200-250 images my battery just rans out of juice. According to canon, the battery supports up to 1000 shots with fully charged battery. I don't use flash at all and I did mostly indoor shoots. What I feel like is my battery is draining pretty fast. Seems very unusual. After facing this issue I tried to find out how fast my battery was draining. So I shoot 3 raw images and found that battery just drained 1% so I keep doing it and eventually found that each 3-4 images taken my battery loses 1% of charge. I can only take around 220-280 images with a fully charged battery.

Super disappointed  :(

I hope any Canon 7D user could shed some light with this matter. Let me know if I am doing anything wrong here. Thanks in advance.

"Life it self is a mystery, Shoot everything"
Canon - 7D, 600D/T3i
Canon - 24-105mm F/4 L, 50mm F/1.8 Mark II
MY FLICKR
37 REPLIES 37

Bundu
Contributor
I have a similar issue with a 7DMKll, I have 4 batteries and all of a sudden I have noticed that a fully charged LP-6N discharges fully over night if left in the camera ie with no use!
When used in my 5DMklll there is no discernible discharge still after 3 days. Could this be resolved with a firmware update? With so many posts on the same subject it does seem a genuine fault with the camera or software??

@Bundu wrote:
I have a similar issue with a 7DMKll, I have 4 batteries and all of a sudden I have noticed that a fully charged LP-6N discharges fully over night if left in the camera ie with no use!
When used in my 5DMklll there is no discernible discharge still after 3 days. Could this be resolved with a firmware update? With so many posts on the same subject it does seem a genuine fault with the camera or software??

Did you check the GPS on the 7D2?  You need to turn it off when the camera is not in use.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@Bundu wrote:

Did you check the GPS on the 7D2?  You need to turn it off when the camera is not in use.

Thank you Waddizzle for your reply and advice, problem is, I have never enabled my GPS. I have checked it though and it is still disabled. I have also enabled and then disabled it,just incase and will test the camera again .

@Bundu wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@Bundu wrote:

Thank you Waddizzle for your reply and advice, problem is, I have never enabled my GPS. I have checked it though and it is still disabled. I have also enabled and then disabled it,just incase and will test the camera again .

Try removing any lenses.  Make sure the camera is actually turned off, not just sleeping. Buttons can be pushed and held down while your camera is in a crowded bag, draining the battery and/or changing settings as it bumps around.

If none of that makes a difference, then perform a reset back to factory defaults.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"Could this be resolved with a firmware update?"

No it won't.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@Waddizzle wrote:

@Bundu wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@Bundu wrote:

Try removing any lenses.  Make sure the camera is actually turned off, not just sleeping. Buttons can be pushed and held down while your camera is in a crowded bag, draining the battery and/or changing settings as it bumps around.

If none of that makes a difference, then perform a reset back to factory defaults.  

Thank you Waddizzle, this is really puzzling but as you probably saw the only thing changed was the GPS enabling and disabling again and the problem seems better but I will try with lens on and off. Thank you

When none of that works check if it still draws power when the SD card is out. Also, when you look through the viewfinder when the camera is off, is the view bright. But, if you take the battery out when the camera is off, look through the viewfinder again, is it now much dimmer?  The transmissive LCD screen used by the viewfinder to show the grid, level, focus point info, and general camera info uses a lot of power and is always powered on to keep the viewfinder bright even with the power switch off. 

Also try removing the battery. Does the battery(s) discharge out of the camera?

If none of this works you need to call Canon because you could have a parasitic load from a faulty MB.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

When none of that works check if it still draws power when the SD card is out. Also, when you look through the viewfinder when the camera is off, is the view is bright. But, if you take the battery out when the camera is off, look through the viewfinder again, is it now much dimmer?  The transmissive LCD screen used by the viewfinder to show the grid, level, focus point info, and general camera info uses a lot of power and is always powered on to keep the viewfinder bright even with the power switch off. 

Also try removing the battery. Does the battery(s) discharge out of the camera?

If none of this works you need to call Canon because you could have a parasitic load from a faulty MB.

Thank you for your reply and suggestions none of the above are occur but strangley I am comparing my two cameras the 5D and 7D with the same batteries that were draining in the 7D and all seems well? The only thing I changed was to enable the GPS and immediately disable it again on the 7D?? So I'll give it another test with lens on and lens off.

Announcements