cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS 4000D Camera Lenses

CariY2206
Contributor

Hi! So, I have a Canon EOS 4000D at home. However, I've been blessed with the opportunity to take professional photos with different cameras at my church. When I first purchased the EOS 4000D, I did it with little knowledge because I was excited to own my first camera. However, the picture quality between both cameras is drastically different, regardless of the settings. I learned from one of my colleagues that the camera body doesn't matter, but the lens does. Therefore, I am wondering what other lenses will be good for the Canon EOS 4000D, other than the zoom lens that came with the camera (the EF-S 18-55mm lens). All the pictures look grainy with that lens in comparison to the photos I take at church. Additionally, which adapter would be good to purchase with this camera as well because I don't desire to be limited in my lens usage.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Great to get your prompt response!

Let's start off assuming you want to keep the 4000d for a while but want better glass.

There are two lenses that I would recommend off the bat.  The first is the Canon EF-S 18-135 IS STM or (nano) USM lens.  This is a brilliant general purpose lens with a much wider range than your 18-55.  The STM and nano-USM units focus using fly-by-wire technology that makes the virtually silent and can be manually focused at any time.  The USM unit is a bit faster than the STM but optically very similar - I have both.

The following images were taken with the  EF-S18-135 STM, hand-held, in available light:
005.jpg

Canon 80D, EF-S 18-135@135mm USM, f/8, 1/2000sec, ISO-200Canon 80D, EF-S 18-135@135mm USM, f/8, 1/2000sec, ISO-200

At the long end, for the investment, I would recommend getting the EF 70-300 lenses.  There are a couple of variants of this the original (released in 2005) and a new one, MkII in about 2016.  Again, I have both and they are both excellent optically, although the MkII has the nano-USM motor and is blazing fast at focus.  Both versions of this lens are image stabilized and if you decide to upgrade to a FF body, they will work with those bodies.  I have also tried them via an adapter on the new R-series FF bodies and they work very well.

I recommend you read my review of 70-300 lenses HERE   If you are interested, you could look on Canon's refurbished lens site as they are like new, significantly reduced in price and come with a 1-year warranty.  You can access that site HERE 

If you eventually want to move up to a higher-end body, there are two paths to follow:

Stay with a DSLR and take advantage of low prices for refurb and second-hand gear as enthusiasts relinquish their gear and move into mirrorless.  In that case I would look for the EOS 80D or 90D.  Either should work for your purposes - again, I have both and they are both great bodies.

Alternatively, you could eventually upgrade into the new R-series mirrorless interchangeable lens system (MILCs).  That is a fast-developing market with excellent FF and a couple of crop sensor bodies.  While a crop-sensor body has advantages for wildlife, a FF body has advantages at the wide end and for portraiture.

However, I would suggest the lenses first.  The EF-S lens would work on the R7 and R10 MILC bodies and the 70-300 would work well on any MILC body.  (Technically, the EF-S lens can work on a FF MILC body, but it massively reduces the sensor output and I would not recommend that).

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

A good point, although I am not sure of the price for this - isn't it an L lens and thus pretty pricey?  I am trying to respect the OP's budget constraints. 

If the need to shoot in church without a tripod or flash is a necessity (although this was not listed),  in that case I would go for the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8, it is arguably the best EF-S lens out there with a constant 2.8 aperture and one can pick them up fairly cheaply these days.  I have one: big and bulky but a killer lens.  It could work well with the 70-300 range to give a lot of flexibility and yet not break the bank.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

This is true. The church I shoot for is almost pitch black if it weren't for the stage lights. Thank you so much for your recommendations also!!!

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

You will find all four lenses recommended by Ricky and me at the Refurb lens site listing I sent you.

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements