cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 90D vs 6D Mark II Decision (owning L-series EF lenses)

ree28278
Apprentice

I have been going around in circles trying to decide whether to purchase the 90D or 6D Mark II.  I am looking to replace my 60D.  Most of my shooting is sporting events (horse shows) both outdoors and indoors without flash.  Indoors is challenging because of low-light situations.  I never used the 60D for video, and used an iPhone 13pro instead.  I am conflicted with the 90D shooting 90% of photos and 10% of video (instead of the iPhone), or the 6D?  

These lenses I have in the order that I use them are:

EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 L IS USM

EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM

EF 70-200 f/4 L IS USM

Any help will be appreciated.  I have read reviews and YouTube videos of comparisons, but wanted to ask here.  The 6D would probably match up better with the lenses I have, but the 90D has newer technology.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

As I implied, the challenge that comes with crop sensors is that while they do crop before shooting, and I make huge use of that myself for my own shooting. It was to overcome the loss of compact FoV that is offered by the crop sensor that I suggested a two-prong solution to give you the best combination.    One has to consider that while there is a 1.6 cropping benefit for the sensor's FoV, that also impacts the actual effective aperture of the lens.  While a lens has a given physical focal length and aperture, and they do not change, the result of the combination of the lens projecting onto a crop sensor does impact DoF in particular.

If you harness the DR benefits of the full-frame sensor, and they are not insignificant, the adoption of the longer lens will offset the benefits that are lost from the 1.6 crop factor.   If you were to use the existing 70-300 on the 90D, your equivalent FL range would be 112-480mm, the solution I am suggesting is the FF 6DII with the 100-400, so while you are losing 80mm at the long end, you are gaining the dynamic range benefits as well.

While I agree with your comment about the MkI version of the 100-400, but the MkII is a very different beast.  I sold my 100-400MkI to get the MkII as soon as it came out - it is an awesome optic.

I reiterate that nothing can provide the same result as using the gear in the field yourself, under your conditions, so renting is a good way to establish within your context the viability of one solution over another without commitment.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I support the suggestion to rent ..."

John normally a wealth of photography info and I part on renting low cost gear. It is a good idea on a lens for instance that cost $10,000 and you are going to use once or twice. Not such a good idea on a sub $1000 refurb 90D camera. Even a new one isn't a good rental idea either. Especially on a camera you are going to use all the time.

Although the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Lens is a way better lens than what you have it is still slow even slightly slower than yours. Which really doesn't matter until you get in low light stuff if that is still a big concern. Just to get the extra 100mm you get a nearly $2500 price tag. A better choice would be one of the 150-600mm super zooms. On a 90D a 150-600mm zoom has the equivalent of nearly 1000mm of FL and buddy boy that is some serious focal length.

The correct answer remains the 90D and the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens (if money allows).

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements