cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 7D mark 1 autofocus inconsistent

Jshemnitz
Contributor

Hi All,

I picked up a Canon 7D used recently and I'm having some really big problems with the autofocus. Basically, the autofocus is extremely inconsistent. It's happening on multiple lenses so I'm pretty sure it's the body and not the lenses. I've done a hard reset, cleared all the settings, cleaned the sensors, and done micro AF adjustments on all my lenses. I'll take a shot (single shot, manual single center point) and the focus will be too far out.. take another pic and the focus is fine.. take another pic and the focus is too far in. It's just all over the place and I'm not sure what's wrong...I'm basically losing my mind because I'll so the micro adjustment again thinking its fine and then it's off.. even taking multiple shots in the microadjustment process will he all over the place in the same session. Not sure what's going on. The body itself is in great condition and has a total shutter count under 40k

23 REPLIES 23

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

I want to confirm this is the original EOS 7D DSLR camera NOT the newer EOS 7D Mark II DSLR camera. What lenses are you using on it. As a test put the camera in P Mode and set the focus mode to One Shot AF. Then take a picture of a stationary object such as tree. The pictures that come out should all be in focus.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Yes, this the original 7d. I've tried it with my 50 1.8 as well as my 50 1.4.. same inconsistent issues with both. I've done the micro adjustments on both using the focusing rulers you can buy

What is the full model name of the 50mm F/1.8 are you using. Canon has only released 1 50mm F/1.4 USM assuming you're using the Canon model. What drive mode are you using older lenses can't keep with Continuous High shooting. 1st gen EF lenses used AFD (Arc Form Drive 1987-1992) instead of Micro Motor. These lenses are LIMITED to 3 fps in Servo AF mode. The AF and aperture control work differently with these lenses. The AF and aperture control are done sequentially not simultaneously like newer lenses are.

• EF 50mm F/1.8 original (1987-1990)
  • EF 50mm F/1.8 II (discontinued, 1990-2015)
  • EF 50mm F/1.8 STM (current, 2015-present)

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

The 50 1.8 is generation 2..

The 50 1.4 is the only generation they made (and still make)

Both are made by canon (not 3rd party)

I'm using single shot (not continuous)

Do you have another camera to test the lenses on.

-Demetrius

Yes.. I have a 5d version 2 coming in a week 

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the forum.  Sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with your gear.

What are you trying to focus on?  How far away is the subject you are focusing on?

Could you please post a sample photo of your issue that contains the EXIF data?  Doing so would help someone to help you.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I picked up a Canon 7D used recently and I'm having some really big problems with the autofocus."

I know you ae not going to like hearing this but almost all focus issues are from the user and not the camera or lens. As high as 90% and micro adjustment is one of the biggest causes because it is so misunderstood. Second is Ai-servo mode so I never recommend using it unless you find One shot isn't getting the job done. One shot will get 90% of all shots. Now this is not to say there isn't a problem with you gear as it very well could be.

The solution is to test it but under very strict conditions. A tripod a static subject or target. Controlled settings and conditions. Not willing to do this or go this far forget trying to determine whether its you or the gear.

"I've done a hard reset, cleared all the settings, cleaned the sensors, and done micro AF adjustments ..."

Good to reset and that is first thing to do. Cleaning the sensors is not only bad but a very bad thing and could very well be or cause the problem. Of course al AF adjustments need to be set back to zero. However set up your testing range using Av mode at first after the full reset. Set up a target 25 or 30 feet away. Center focus point. Good light for good exposure and good contrast in the subject especially with vertical lines. Perhaps a book or newspaper. Everything is rock solid. You are going to go through several aperture settings. You never change more than one thing at a time. You change the aperture OK. You change the distance, OK. You never change the aperture and distance at the same time. as an example. Its tedious and methodical but this is how you test a lens.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I did all of those things.. and it's still inconsistent..something is off with the camera itself and it's outside of the microadjustments. I just don't know what internal issue would throw it off that much

click here to view the gallery
Announcements