cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 70D low light issue

pcmao
Apprentice

I think I'm having issue with my Canon 70D in low light situation.
Comparing to other people who have done low light comparison on 70D on youtube. Some of them have ISO set to as high as 1600 in low light, and it seems reasonably fine.

I shot my video with 50mm lens at 1080p 30fps, f1.8 and ISO 250
I am having significantly and noticeable noise in my test video. And even some ugly 'lines' in the top right part of the video.
Why is my footage like that even when my ISO is relatively very low comparing to others using 1600 and still be fine. 

https://reels.creativecow.net/film/canon-70d-low-light-test

5 REPLIES 5

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Was this link your video test... or someone else's?  

The video you linked is _very_ low noise.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Yes it was a low light test

The thing I don't get is my ISO is so low, but it came up similar to people set it to high ISO like 1600 in terms of noise. 

If you maximize the video you can clearly see large amount of noise at this low ISO. The original file is even more obvious.

I've watched low light test on youtube for 70D, and maiximzed the video too detect noise, it was within reasonable amount, hard to see if you don't try to find it. But mine is quite obvious even though you don't try to see it on purpose. 

I have to be careful viewing anything at full size.  I have an iMac with a 5K display (5120 x 2880) which requires substantial upsampling.  If I view the video in native size (don't upsample to fill the screen) then I see very little noise.  It's not that there isn't any noise at all... it's just the amount of noise is very low.  

I mostly see something that might qualify as "noise" only in the upper right quarter of the screen -- but frankly as I look at it closely... it also resembles compression artifacting (the notion that compression algorithms try to save space by flattening similar huges).  I form this opinion because true noise is usually the worst in dark areas and your darkest areas don't have this issue... but the slightly muddy brownish hue in the upper-right corner is showing something that looks like a cross between pattern noise and compression artifacts -- but the darker areas don't have this issue.  If it were truely just "noise" then the darker areas should have more of the noise.

I can recall seeing some EXTREMELY high budget Hollywood blockbuster movies that have more obvious noise than you have in your video.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

OK thanks for the tip

But is there anyway I can minimize the noise or artifacts in my video?

I've seen few good footages shot in low light using 70D

could a better lens do the work? or any tip just on reducing noise and artifacts besides low f stop and low ISO?

thanks

Peter
Authority
Authority

Never use ISO 250 when video recording. It is ISO 200 underexposed and in post lightened. That will give you less dynamic range and more noise.
To get less noise, use ISO 160, 320, 640, 1250 etc.

Announcements