cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 6D Mk II battery grip question

SBK
Enthusiast

When the battery grip is used (with 2 batteries inside obviously), how does the camera use the batteries ? Does it use (i.e. drain) one battery at a time and then move to the second one ? Or does it use both equally ?

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Uses both equally.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@SBK wrote:

When the battery grip is used (with 2 batteries inside obviously), how does the camera use the batteries ? Does it use (i.e. drain) one battery at a time and then move to the second one ? Or does it use both equally ?

It appears to alternate between the batteries, which draws them down at nearly an equal rate.  You can easilu test and see this for yourself by checking the battery status.  

I am going to make up some numbers just to demonstrate the concept.  Suppose you insert two freshly charged batteries that each measure 100% charged.  Take about a dozen shots, or so, and check batteries,  One battery may have dropped to 98%. If you continue taking shots, it may drop as low as 95%, while the other battery is still showing 100%.

At the 95% point, the camera will switch to the other battery, and its' charge will start dropping until it reaches 95%.  It will continue dropping until it reaches 90%, at which time the camera will switch batteries, and begin using the 95% charged battery.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you very much for explaining and sharing your knowledge.

Announcements