cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 6D Help

jasmync
Contributor

D619BDA3-AA47-48A3-8B20-568B5EBA1C33.jpeg21C6F415-665D-45D3-8AEA-C15BE3FFB135.jpegHello,
I’m currently studying my diploma in photography and I’m a little bit confused. On the tutorial, his exposure indicator has a line under it saying wether it under exposed or over exposed. I can’t seem to bring that up on my camera what ever I try. HEs using a canon 7d and I’m using a canon 6D. Could someone please help as to why my camera is not indicting over and under exposure? I have attached photos of my camera and the tutorial to show what I’m taking about. Thanks 😊

16 REPLIES 16

jasmync
Contributor
Thanks everyone, yes I pressed shutter speed half way down. I even watched a tutorial on youtube about turning 6D on manual mode and his indicator was showing if it was under or over exposed in manual mode. I reset my camera settings just in case I had accidentally changed something, but nope still doesn’t indicate at all 😥

@jasmync wrote:
Thanks everyone, yes I pressed shutter speed half way down. I even watched a tutorial on youtube about turning 6D on manual mode and his indicator was showing if it was under or over exposed in manual mode. I reset my camera settings just in case I had accidentally changed something, but nope still doesn’t indicate at all 😥

Can you try in Av and Tv mode? Maybe this scale is only for exposure compensation for the 6D in which case Robert is right, it doesn't allow Exp Comp in M mode.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

The 6D does not allow exposure compensation in M mode.  Bracketing, yes.  But, exposure compensation, no.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

It should work. Do you have the 6D or the 6D Mk II?

Do you see the little arrows on either side?

Try taking a shot in P mode and note the ISO, Shutter speed and Aperture.

Switch to M and set those same settings. Does the mark show up?

exp.jpg

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

What your camera is displaying (metering scale with no indicator mark) is what my cameras display if I don't wake up the metering system by either pressing the shutter button half-way or by pressing the AF-On buttton.  (This feature can be re-mapped to, for example, the asterisk button -- normally that's the exposure lock button.)

The same meter appears in 3 places on the camera.  

The first is the top LCD panel -- as you've already found.

The second is visible if you look through the viewfinder and half-press the shutter to wake-up the display and metering system.

The third is visible on the rear LCD screen if you put the screen in the right display mode.  You can cycle through what the rear LCD displays by repeatedly pressing the "Info" button located just left of the viewfinder on the back of the camera.  Again, half-press the shutter or use AF-On to wake-up the camera's metering system and it should display that info.

Keep in mind... that you will ONLY see that black mark if you are within 3 stops of what the camera thinks is a correct exposure.  If you are beyond the 3 stop limit, the end of the scale will draw a tiny arrow and you have to adjust the exposure to bring it back within the 3 stop range.

Do you see the exposure indicator in any of the other two displays (viewfinder or rear LCD)?

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@TCampbell wrote:

What your camera is displaying (metering scale with no indicator mark) is what my cameras display if I don't wake up the metering system by either pressing the shutter button half-way or by pressing the AF-On buttton.

Keep in mind... that you will ONLY see that black mark if you are within 3 stops of what the camera thinks is a correct exposure.  If you are beyond the 3 stop limit, the end of the scale will draw a tiny arrow and you have to adjust the exposure to bring it back within the 3 stop range.

I think Tim has nailed it.  One your metering system may not be active, and your indicated shutter speed is 1/2000, which could be putting your metering off the scale.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@TCampbell wrote:

What your camera is displaying (metering scale with no indicator mark) is what my cameras display if I don't wake up the metering system by either pressing the shutter button half-way or by pressing the AF-On buttton.

I think Tim has nailed it.  One your metering system may not be active, and your indicated shutter speed is 1/2000, which could be putting your metering off the scale.

In the OP's original post, his picture shows no such arrow, though...

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr
Announcements