cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 60D Focal Point Issue

jdminnesota
Apprentice

I'm having trouble with the focal point on my Canon 60D. It happens regardless of the lens I use (have tried Canon and Sigma).

I manually select a focal point. The point displays as hitting where I selected but in the photo the focal point is clearly not falling where I had set it. Focus often falls at the exact opposite point from where I set it.

Side by side shows back of the camera with focal point selected on his face VS. actual image where focus is clearly falling on his left bicep.  - How do I ensure my focus falls where I intend? 

Side by Side.jpg

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The 60D Instruction Manual, which can be downloaded, offers a few suggestions.  One of the best ways to achieve critical focus is to manually focus with LiveView, and then shutting Live View off to take the shot.

Some Canon DSLRs have AFMA, auto focus micro-adjustment.  This allows you to calibrate the camera to a particular lens.  Canon service can perform this adjustment on your camera, too, since is lacks the AFMA feature so you could do it yourself.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

The 60D Instruction Manual, which can be downloaded, offers a few suggestions.  One of the best ways to achieve critical focus is to manually focus with LiveView, and then shutting Live View off to take the shot.

Some Canon DSLRs have AFMA, auto focus micro-adjustment.  This allows you to calibrate the camera to a particular lens.  Canon service can perform this adjustment on your camera, too, since is lacks the AFMA feature so you could do it yourself.

And its incomprehensible lack of AFMA is why I didn't buy my wife a 60D. (Just as well: she now has a 7D Mk II.)

When I bought my 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, I discovered (the hard way, by screwing up a shoot) that it needed +9 points of AFMA. I was lucky, because my cameras at the time were a 7D and a 50D, both of which have AFMA.

Canon's low-end cameras don't have AFMA; its high-end cameras do. Yet I've never seen an "L" lens that needed it. Go figure.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Try turning off all the focus points except the center one.  Give it a try and see if it stays where you expected.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

lightslice
Contributor
Hi there. I own 2 60D, increddible robust bodies. I have seen this happen to me aswell. I always thought it was my shooting that is suspect. I only use single dot centre forcus. Sometimes its off by a cm and sometimes by like 5 - 7 cm. I will investigate more and come back with an option
Announcements