cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5D mark iv to a RF lens

andrea3232
Contributor

Hello! So I recently just bought a Canon 5D mark IV and I currently use the lens that is 100mm-400mm, and it just doesn't seem that it goes as far as I would like. I am super interested in the refurbished RF600mm F11 IS STM lens. Although I know I have a EF & DSLR camera, I was wondering if there was a way or an adapter that would connect an EF & mirrorless lens to mine. Or if I would have to get a whole new camera for a farther mm lens. Thank you in advanced. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

You cannot connect an RF lens to an EF mount body.  No adapter exists.  Only the opposite is possible.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

You cannot connect an RF lens to an EF mount body.  No adapter exists.  Only the opposite is possible.

--
Ricky

Hello! Thank you for responding! Do you happen to know if there is a lens for the 5d mark IV that reaches farther than 400mm. I am very interested in having a farther lens.

Here are a couple options for an EF 600mm (zoom):

• Sigma 150 - 600mm f/5.3 - 6.3 DG OS HSM (approx $900)
  • Tamron SP 150 - 600mm f/5.3 - 5.3 Di VC USD G2 (approx $1,200)

Of course Canon does offer a 600mm prime (f/4), but that will run you $13,000

--
Ricky

any alternatives for EF70-200mm F2.8L IS III USM Optical Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon EOS? i have been trying to get one, any suggestion in Sigma or in Tamron with the same Quality and better price? 

Do you have the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM lens?  If so, another option is to try it with the Canon Extender EF 1.4X III

Not quite 600mm, but 560mm.

Or even the 2.0x extender, though you'd have to compare image quality to that of the 1.4x extender to see if it would meet your needs.

--
Ricky

I do use the 100-400mm lens!! I mainly shoot sports, preferably football and sometimes I feel as if 400 isn’t as far as I would like. I will definitely look into the lenses and the extenders you have told me about. I really appreciate your help!! Thank you so so much! 

Lotus7
Rising Star

As Ricky mentioned both the Sigma and Tamron-G2 150-600 EF Zooms are excellent contemporary choices.

FWIW:  I had the opportunity to try both on a  1D Mk-IV, EOS-R5 and EOS-R. Both worked well on the 1D and produced excellent 16 Mpix images.  However, IMHO, while using the EF-EOS R adapter on the 44 Mpix R-5 the Tamron G2 had noticeably sharper center resolution and less chromatic fringing.  I purchased the Tamron and have used it extensively for bird shots and am delighted with it.  I was also able to pick up the matched Tamron 1.4X converter for the G2 lens and found it to be amazing.  It seems to be perfectly matched to the lens at 600mm so produces a 840 mm f/9 combination that still can be hand-held using a proper extended support system at 1/2000 sec (although use with a tripod/gimbal is safer).  The Tamron 1.4 X converter is presently no longer in production, but is still in stock at some dealers.

I've been VERY happy with the Canon R lenses, the 70-200 f/2.8L is fantastic, but if you need 600mm or longer, the current Tamron G2 is hard to beat for the price

Tamron 150-600 G2 on EOS RTamron 150-600 G2 on EOS R

Pelicans at 58 meter distance:  EOS R5, Tamron 600mm, f/6.3, 1/3200sec, ISO 800Pelicans at 58 meter distance: EOS R5, Tamron 600mm, f/6.3, 1/3200sec, ISO 800

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Wow Lotus7, nice rig!

@Andrea3232,

I have the Sigma 150~600c.  It has a optional extender as well, but 600mm is often plenty.  I've never used the Tamron, but it has a loyal following.  Plus side, It has newer optical coatings, downside (for me)  anyway, the Zoom ring is reversed.  Zoom ring is opposite than Canon (for zoom in and out).  Trivial, but muscle memory and my own personal preference.  Both lenses are excellent, and Sigma has a great Outlet (like Canon Refurb) where you can save a bundle.  Sigma also makes a Sports model of the 150~600s "designation" which has also received high praise. Sigma still produces their 1.4x and 2.0x TC's if you want more reach.  I usually recommend Canon glass, but the EF Sigma and Tamron are excellent choices if you want to go beyond 400mm without spending somewhere north of $8k on L series glass. Both will also work flawlessly with your 5D4.

That said, a move to mirrorless means starting over (in some regard) new body, some new glass.  If you are already invested in EF glass, it might be less expensive to buy a new lens.  Conversely many EF lenses can be adapted to a MILC body.  Sticking with Canon in this case yields the best results. The non L RF primes have been well received, but must have adequate light.  For this reason, I prefer zooms.

Start here lensrentals dot com  Rent before you purchase.  Great way to test gear before you buy.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Awesome!! I’m definitely looking into that Sigma 150-600mm!! I also have another question if you don’t mind. So I typically shoot in the dark bc I take football pictures, I keep my shutter speed fairly low and my ISO pretty high, but sometimes the quality isn’t all that great. Do you happen to maybe have any tips about that? I will check out the renting a lens as well!! 

Announcements