cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5D MK2 DSLR freezing after 1 minute

VaSzi
Apprentice

Hello to all, I bought a Canon 5D mark 2 on a flee market in very good , almost mint condition. The camera has a very low, 4818 exposure count.

I found it without battery and battery bay door.  I bought new aftermarket battery, camera was not working. I sent to repair, they call me after mor the a moth when they finally open my box that what is the problem the camera is working.  They connected to a PC did not find any error saved, and they told me the exposure number.

When I received the camera from the repair shop, I powered on and was asking for CF card, I inserted the card than try to change from ISO 400 to smaller value and the camera became unresponsive to buttons, and dials. I try to turn it off, both of the screens remain on with the same image.

After trying all of the so called easy DIY fix found on the internet lik turn of take out the battery , CF card lens.... close the door turn on .... I came to the next conclusion.

If I leave the camera without battery for few hours, when I reinsert the battery red light is blinking so he check the CF card, after turning on everything is working 100% good.

I can take picture, use the menu the camera is working perfectly fine but after 4 - 10 pictures depending how much I am using the menu for settings but usually  under one minute the camera became unresponsive most of the time with just battery info on the top screen and the color back screen showing the actual image or menu depending what was on it in the last second.  One time I was scrolling in the menu when this happen and the menu remain in automatically scrolling from up to down until I took out the battery. If I am reinserting the battery right away the camera is not powering on. I have to keep it powered off for mor than 1 hour. If I try to power it back after 30 minutes or so in some case it starts already frozen, or stays on fewer seconds.

I took off the back of the camera and I try to measure some temperature changes after powering on because I felt a slight reis of temp on the HDMI out socket and the WIFI extension socket  close to the HDMI socket. Because almost everything is covered with some metal plate I was able to measure a slight 1 to 3 Celsius temperature difference between the left lower corner of the mother board vs the other parts of the mainboard.

Finally my question is does somebody experienced something like this whit his camera?

2 REPLIES 2

NatalyaP
Product Expert
Product Expert

Greetings VaSzi,

Per the detailed description you've provided, it appears that there may be an internal issue with the camera, but it may be difficult to identify the root issue through forum support. We would have recommended to send the EOS 5D Mark II camera to our facility for repair but unfortunately, this camera model has reached the end of its service life where repairs are no longer performed. An alternative option would be to participate in the Canon Upgrade Program.

The Canon Upgrade Program option allows you to replace your current camera with a new or refurbished Canon camera at a discounted price. If you would like to take part in the Canon Upgrade Program, please call our Sales Department at 1-866-443-8002 from Monday - Saturday between 9:00 am to 9:00 pm ET. Be sure to have your serial number for your camera available at the time of your call.

VaSzi
Apprentice

Hy NatalyaP,

Thank you for your offer, right now I could not afford a brand new camera, but  i bought an another 5D MK2 for 156 USD, it is true that is not in a very good shape and it has 151 K shutter count not  4818 but it is working. Right now I am using it and eventually when it will fail the shutter I will change the motherboard to the other camera and hopefully will work. I start photography back in 1997 and starting with 2008 I am using DSLR too, but it is not my main job, I was shooting events and products occasionally so I could not afford to invest to much in photographic equipment.  This camera The 5D MK2 is my first full frame camera and I love it, and I start to think buying more equipment in the future, already sold my crop sensor camera. 

Announcements