cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5D MK iii serial

SteveWazowski
Apprentice

I am in the process of switching from Sony to Canon and am about to purchase a Canon 5D MK iii. The seller has given me a choice of 2 cameras (she has 3 and needs to sell one of them) 

One has a very low shutter count having only been used for 3 weddings and the serial is 12 digits beginning 22802*******

The other is older (purchased around Nov 2014) and  I'm assuming has a higher shutter count (I'm currently waiting for exact shutter counts on both) and he serial is again 12 digits starting 32802*******

My question is mainly around the difference between the two serials. I've read about the very first batch of 5D's having an LCD issue so was wondering if there are any major differences between the two ranges of serial numbers?

Thanks

SW

9 REPLIES 9

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@SteveWazowski wrote:

I am in the process of switching from Sony to Canon and am about to purchase a Canon 5D MK iii. The seller has given me a choice of 2 cameras (she has 3 and needs to sell one of them) 

One has a very low shutter count having only been used for 3 weddings and the serial is 12 digits beginning 22802*******

The other is older (purchased around Nov 2014) and  I'm assuming has a higher shutter count (I'm currently waiting for exact shutter counts on both) and he serial is again 12 digits starting 32802*******

My question is mainly around the difference between the two serials. I've read about the very first batch of 5D's having an LCD issue so was wondering if there are any major differences between the two ranges of serial numbers?

Thanks

SW

There were some very early 5D Mk III's that had a light leak issue that could impact metering in very unusual situations. It was never really a practical problem. 

Roger Cicala at LensRentals reported that the camera the received in early May 2012 had the fix for the light leak issue. So I wouldn't worry about cameras purchased in 2014.

From Canon

To Users of the Canon EOS 5D Mark III Digital SLR Camera

Concerning the EOS 5D Mark III digital SLR camera, when the LCD panel illuminates in extremely dark environments, the displayed exposure value may change. Canon has concluded the investigation of this phenomenon, and this announcement informs you of our findings as described below.

Phenomenon

In extremely dark environments, if the LCD panel illuminates, the displayed exposure value may change. However, based on the results of extensive testing this change in exposure value will not noticeably affect the captured image.

Affected Product

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Digital SLR Camera

*Products whose sixth digit in the serial number is 1 or 2 are affected.
For example, “xxxxx1xxxxxx” or “xxxxx2xxxxxx” ([x] represents any optional number.)

Support

Under almost all shooting conditions (including dark environments) this phenomenon will not affect your captured images. However, if you would like Canon to inspect your camera, we will provide this service free of charge upon request beginning in mid-May [2012]. Please contact Canon using the information below to request service.

This information is for residents of the United States and Puerto Rico only. If you do not reside in the USA or Puerto Rico, please contact the Canon Customer Support Center in your region.

Please register the EOS 5D Mark III. By registering, we will be able to notify you via email when service updates are available. If you already registered, please ensure you are opted-in to receive the notification.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Don't worry about it.  But you know the 5d3 used price should have dropped because of the release of the 5d4.  Consider that!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Don't worry about it.  But you know the 5d3 used price should have dropped because of the release of the 5d4.  Consider that!

It might be a lttle early, yet.  I can't tell if places are having their usual once a month discounts, or have actually made a price cut.  The price difference between the Mark 3 and Mark 4 is great enough to still make the Mark 3 very attractive.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

SteveWazowski
Apprentice
Thanks for the advice. I'm actually buying now because of the MK iv release and I've been watching the prices of the MK iii for a few weeks now on ebay etc.

Prices for the body only have been averaging about £1400-1500 with shutter counts around 50,000 and upwards

"...with shutter counts around 50,000 ..."

50K is nothing for a Mk III.  Besides a brand new shutter is about $300 bucks (about 230 of your dollars).

"... been averaging about £1400-1500..."

About $2 grand? IMHO, I would say that is top dollar and it should be a real, very, very, nice one for that.  I think $1600 to $1700 US would be better. But I haven't kept up on the used market for a 5D Mk III but I know where I would want to be.  I know what I sold mine for, too.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"Thanks for the advice. I'm actually buying now because of the MK iv release and I've been watching the prices of the MK iii for a few weeks now on ebay etc."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

eBay?  Not good.  I do not recommend buying anything fancier than a paperback novel on Amazon.  I have a lower opinion of eBay.  There forums have countless threads from people who are regretfully unhappy with their camera purchases from those sites, most particularly used gear.  Let me put it this way.  I have yet to see a thread from someone happy with their purchase from either of those sources.

You should buy used gear only if you can inspect it for yourself.  If that is not possible, then I recommend buying from the reputable dealers.  The best place for "used gear" in the U.S. is their Refurbished Store.  I do not know if there is anything comparable outside of the U.S.  The Refurbished Store offers one year warranty on gear, which is a lot better than the buyer beware, "as is" condition deals you find on Amazon and eBay.

SteveWazowski
Apprentice

Thanks for all the advice

Have finally got the camera, ended up with - 

Canon 5D Mk iii, serial no starting 33 with shutter count of 13,000 which was purchased Nov 2014. This was £1,100

Also got some other kit off the seller - 

Sigma MACRO 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM

Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II

as well as a few Hoya lens filters

Go the lot for £1500 which I'm very happy with, especailly with the low shutter count.

Wadizzle - I disagree about the whole eBay comment. Yes you can, and people do, get scammed on eBay, just like they do on craigslist, amazon, in person or anywhere a purchase of any kind is made. Scams arent unique to eBay and of course, it's human nature to only complain rather than praise so with anything youre going to see more negative than postive. OBviously you're set against buying anything online (aside from your book from Amazon) and if you have bought and been burnt in the past, then perhaps not enough caution was taken.

I had plenty of dialogue with the seller, on eBay, which actually turned into her selling me me more kit which and am more than happy with. There is protection on Ebay that goes way above and beyond helping both parties and I definitely challenge the notion that eBay is a waste of time. As for 'buyer beware' and warranties, I always make sure anything kit I own is insured anyway.

"OBviously you're set against buying anything online (aside from your book from Amazon) and if you have bought and been burnt in the past, then perhaps not enough caution was taken."

Actually, I have bought almost all of my gear online, especially the more expensive stuff.  I was speaking specifically about buying USED gear, not new.

I was talking about used gear, as all the kit I bought was used

Announcements