cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 1DX Mk II Problems: Silent Shutter. Which is the difference?

JohnTh
Contributor

Hi,

On Canon 1DX Mk II we have the following modes:

1. Single Image

2. Single Image Silent Mode

Between the two above one can distinguish a certain difference because it is clear that in the 2nd case the mirror is released when the photog released the shutter button. I don't know how quieter is but, anyway, the separation between raising and lowering the mirror can make a (small) difference.

However we have:

3. Burst mode (normal = loud)

4. Burst mode Silent - L(ow rate)

5. Burst mode Silent - H(ight rate)

Which are the differences in sound between these modes?

Isn't supposed that cases 4 & 5 to be quieter with the case 4 being quietest from all?

Sorry, but I can't distinguish any difference. On 5D3 the difference was noticeable. Can't we have the same on 1DX2?

TIA

my 2c & HTH,

John Th.
3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

"Which are the differences in sound between these modes?"

You seem to have listed the differences.  No doubt the frame rate varies from fastest to slowest between those modes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Isn't supposed that cases 4 & 5 to be quieter with the case 4 being quietest from all?"

I would think taking stills in quiet mode would make the least noise.  Use a decibel meter to confirm/deny your findings.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

"Which are the differences in sound between these modes?"

You seem to have listed the differences.  No doubt the frame rate varies from fastest to slowest between those modes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Isn't supposed that cases 4 & 5 to be quieter with the case 4 being quietest from all?"

I would think taking stills in quiet mode would make the least noise.  Use a decibel meter to confirm/deny your findings.

:-)))))

Exactly this is the gist of my message: taking stills in quiet mode does not make the least noise, unfortunatelly. 🙂 (in fact, it takes almost the same noise, just softer).

Believe me I tried & know from a loooong (and sometimes bitter) experience. I shoot mainly in churches. See my portfolio at http://asceticexperience.com

The only difference is (aside of frame rate which isn't the topic of this thread) in the single shot mode, like I stated in my OP and @ebiggs1 notticed it.

my 2c & HTH,

John Th.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

When I have used the "silent" feature of a 1 series, I think it matters only because you can move the camera to a less obtrusive place.  Say a quite church where the priest doesn't really like the idea pf photographers in the firs place, you can shoot and then drop the camera by your side.  Release the shutter.   It is less noticeable at least if not actually less noisy.

Other than that it is a useless feature.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements