cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone tell me what is causing this arc of deeper pigment on my EOS 6D

Karenflsa
Contributor

My EOS 6D has developed a strange arc  on my pictures. It is notthe lens-works fine on another body and a differnt lens produces the same arc so definitely the camera see picture. Less noticeable when zoomed in. Any suggestions would  be gratefully received so i  have some idea before taking it in for a repairIMG_0812.JPG

19 REPLIES 19

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I would guess a hair on the sensor.

You can try a rocket blower to clean it, or send it to Canon.

This post belongs in the EOS discussion at the top.

(see!)

Yep. Hair. 

In Menu lock the mirror up.  Blast with rocket blower. Lightly brush with sensor brush if needed. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Thank you for the advice - much appreciated

I normally agree with all Tim Campbell suggests except this time.  You don't sound like an experienced photographer.  If that is true I think you should not mess around inside the mirror box as Tim opines.  There are things in there that don't respond well to mistakes!  A professional C&C by Canon is your best option.

Try to change the lens when conditions are better.  I don't know why I even said that because if I need to change a lens, it gets changed. No matter where I am !  Oh, well it's just part of the game.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks and i agre with you - I am travelling this weekend and will see a professional photographer at my destination who has offered to help me with my issue -when I asked for help on this forum I did not think he was going to be there atthe weekend and was hoping it was something very easy to resolve. I appreciate your time and trouble in replying.

@Karenflsa wrote:

Thanks and i agre with you - I am travelling this weekend and will see a professional photographer at my destination who has offered to help me with my issue -when I asked for help on this forum I did not think he was going to be there atthe weekend and was hoping it was something very easy to resolve. I appreciate your time and trouble in replying.

Smart.   Let a professional take a look at it.  Hopefully, he will show you what he does.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Yeah, it looks like a hair on the sensor.  Purchase a blower to blow it out. 

You will need to lock up the mirror to do it.  Make sure that you turn the camera so that the opening faces down [I do this over my bed, BTW.], so that any loose dirt, dust, or hair falls OUT of the camera body, instead of finding a new home inside of it.

Also, I would never use a brush on my sensor.  I know they make them (???), but I would never use one.  It just seems far too delicate to me. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

+1 more vote for "hair on the sensor"... and lots and lots of litle bits of dust and lint on the sensor.

Remove the lens (in an environment which is less dusty than the inside of your camera), point the camera at the ground and use the menu to navigate to the "manual" sensor clean function.  This will cause the mirror to swing clear and the shuter curtain will open -- revealing the sensor.

You can then use a hand-squeeze blower to hit it with a few puffs of air.

Don't use a can of compressed air as the majority of these use a propellant that leaves a residue (it will "fog" the glass filter in front of your sensor -- causing a loss in contrast and that would require a "wet" cleaning method to remove the residue -- such as "Eclipse" brand sensor cleaning solution with "Sensor Swabs").  Most dust doesn't need any "wet" cleaning solution -- a few puffs of air will clear it.

Sometimes the dust can have a 'static cling' problem so it doesn't want to release.  There is such a thing as a "grounded" brush.  It has very soft bristles, but it's conductive... and the end of the handle has a wire and a clip that you connect to a grounded surface.  This releases any static charge so that the dust should (hopefully) fall off.

I've never needed to use a brush.  Usually air is enough.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

thank you trying to find a dust free environment where I live is not going to be easy but I will try my best.
Announcements