cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R6 desaturated part of the image?

jessiesmith220
Contributor

Hello! Quick question! In both the raw and jpeg files from this session, i noticed that the roof of this building was desaturated completely in all of the images as we moved around the property. Not all taken from this spot. You can see the red color the entire roof is supposed to be in the top left corner, the tiny part above the window. That's the accurate color of the entire roof, but for some reason in all the files both raw and jpeg, the roof of the building is completely gray. Earlier in the session we were at a different spot and the color of those very red roofs came through just fine. No settings were changed between the two locations. Any ideas? I would understand it more if it were ALL the reds in the image, but as you can see it picked up a small portion of the actual color of the roof, just not the whole thing. I've never seen this happen before, I'm assuming it has to be something that happened in camera since it recorded this way on both memory cards! Any help is welcome! Screenshot 2024-09-19 at 4.20.26 PM.png

14 REPLIES 14

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Hi Jessie and welcome to the forum:
If you were to look at the histogram, l would predict that there is a significant amount of the image in the high key area, considering the building is white or very close to that:  thus one could simply say that what you describe as desaturated is the result of being overexposed.  Within the image, considering the subjects are back lit and yet still very bright, the image shown thus does not have the dynamic range to handle highly reflective background objects directly lit vs. darker back lit ones.

To demonstrate this, I downloaded the image you provided and, using Photoshop, reduced the exposure slightly, and the whites to get this result - given the background should not dominate the subject, which is clearly the family group.

Screenshot 2024-09-19 at 4.20.26 PM.png

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thanks for taking a look. My issue is that it DID pick up the color of the roof in the one spot, where you can see it in the top left corner, so it should have picked it up everywhere. Even in other locations where the roof is slightly visible behind trees, it’s still gray and not red. What would cause the red to be shown in the one spot, but not the rest of the roof?

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Like Tronhard said, did you look at the histogram? If the red channel is blown, and the others at or near the sensor max, it could appear grey. Note the red that is there is in the shade.

Peter
Authority
Authority

The first thing I would do would be to check the raw clipping, like the others wrote. Rawdigger, darktable and Hraw are able to show you the raw clipping area.

Sample file from Hraw

1000008696.jpg

 Sample file from darktable with white balance turned off (therefore green).

1000008697.jpg

The second thing to check would be the chromatic aberration removal settings. 

Danny

Thanks for joining the conversation, jessiesmith220!

So that the Community can help you better, we need to know exactly which Canon camera model you're using. That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE.

Thanks and have a great day!

Hi Danny, 

For these images I was using a canon r6 and a 28-70 2.0 lens. These are screenshots of the straight out of the camera raw file, no editing done. You can see in the first one that even through the trees the red color of the roof didn't come through at all. In the one of the boy holding his Mickey toy, the red is there everywhere it's supposed to be even though it's in direct sun, and then on the beach you only see the color come through in the one spot on the top left corner. 

I appreciate the help! Screenshot 2024-09-24 at 12.12.07 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-09-24 at 12.14.36 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-09-24 at 12.16.13 PM.png

Easiest thing for you to do is to share a raw file.

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

I agree with Peter.  The images you are showing us are mediated by two sets of configurations: the settings of the camera taking the image and the settings of the screen displaying it.  Sending us a link to the RAW file will allow us to see the histogram display which is the fundamental information required to analyze this.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Ron888
Contributor

Wow that is odd! I'm curious to see what went wrong

Announcements