cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CR3 Format

chief
Rising Star

I have statrted this topic before and was helped out when it came to lightroom. Got the 90D and its RAW files are in CR3. Apple Photos will not display this format. I called Apple and they said the new OS Catalina 10.5 will take care of this issue. Well it has not, does anybody have same issue as me or am I doing something wrong?

32 REPLIES 32

I am afraid that as the market for DSLR's, rangefinders  and other high-end mirrorless cameras shrink, you will find less and less non-mfg raw support in a timely manner. As long as DPP supports the camera, Canon's job is done.

chief
Rising Star

Well Apple Photos still does not accept CR3 images from a EOS 90D DSLR. When I go to download into Photos 2 out of 3 images is just a black thumbnail.

@chief wrote:

Well Apple Photos still does not accept CR3 images from a EOS 90D DSLR. When I go to download into Photos 2 out of 3 images is just a black thumbnail.

The Canon software works with CR3 files.  What do you think Canon should do about Apple's Photos not working with them?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

chief
Rising Star
Not a clue but as past files work with Apple Photos it would stand to reason new format would also. Do not like Canon software

"The Canon software works with CR3 files.  What do you think Canon should do about Apple's Photos not working with them?"

@chief wrote:
Not a clue but as past files work with Apple Photos it would stand to reason new format would also. Do not like Canon software

"Not a clue...".  I will say it for you.  Canon is not responsible for writing Apple branded apps.  End of story.

Apple would much rather see users buy a new camera that is an iPhone, not a Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc.  It is in Apples best self interests to see other cameras not be compatible with Apple gear.  Apple has long history of doing this.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I suspect Apple will get around to getting their OS to work with .CR3 files as they have done in the past with other file formats. But I also suspect it is not a priority compared to getting Mojave and iOS13 straightened out.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Does the EOS Utility or DPP4 not work on the Mac?

Because both are available on Canon's website, with very recent release dates.

Canon software works fine. Apparently some users are having issues with Apple software; see message 13 above.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

briansmale
Apprentice

Hello, 

I am in (urgent!) need of some file recovery software for CR3 files on an SD card.  My card was formated before being downloaded.  "Card Rescue" and "Stellar Photo Recovery" are not having any luck finding files.  Does anyone here have any experience with recovery of an Sd card with CR3 files?

Thanks, 

Brian

No experience, but try Recuva by ccleaner

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements