cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAPE CANAVERAL ROCKET LAUNCH EQUIPMENT ADVISE

Stumpman
Apprentice

Hi, I'm visiting Florida shortly and am hoping to be there for a rocket launch at Cape Canaveral and would like some opinions of the best kit to take from the following and taking into account the viewing distance to the launch pad:

7D II BODY (1.6x crop factor)

1DX BODY

300MM F2.8 IS

500MM F4 IS

1.4X III

2X III

Any suggestions would be much appreciated?

5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

1DX BODY

300MM F2.8 IS

500MM F4 IS

1.4X III

You'll have FL of 588 and 700.  You'll lose a few stops with the extender but you probably won't shoot below F6.3 anyway.  If it's early morning, you can shoot at F4 with the 300 even with the extender.  The 1DX will do the rest.    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi Rick, appreciate the prompt reply.

I was concerned about how far away you have to be to watch and wether the crop factor of the 7d would be beneficial over the full frame 1dx which I would prefer to use.

Have you personally viewed a launch?

The actual launch is scheduled for between 11pm - 3am approximately!!

Cheers, Simon.

@Stumpman wrote:

Hi Rick, appreciate the prompt reply.

I was concerned about how far away you have to be to watch and wether the crop factor of the 7d would be beneficial over the full frame 1dx which I would prefer to use.

Have you personally viewed a launch?

The actual launch is scheduled for between 11pm - 3am approximately!!

Cheers, Simon.

You will be several miles away.  

Try to visit the viewing location during daylight hours to get an idea of the actual distance.  Try to pre-focus your lenses during daylight, and use one of those lens bands to lock down the focus ring.  Most likely, you will be focused at infinity, anyway.  If you have ever photographed the Moon, that is the focus you would likely want to use.

I could not advise you on what exposure to use.  It could be anything, AFAIK.  A fireworks setting?  The flame of ignition and the rocket itself will be a bright point source of light.  I would not let the camera automatically adjust exposure, not at all.  I would try bracketing shots in Continuous Drive mode.  Make sure you have AF turned off on the lens, when you are shooting.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You will need all the FL you have.  But I would use both bodies on tripods with different lenses because you want a full view and a closer view..  The closest if I remember correctly is 2 miles and it goes up from there to over 5 miles.  Again if memory serves me.  It isn't free, BTW.  You need a ticket and it is first come first served.  It may have changed since it has been years for me.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

You will need all the FL you have.  But I would use both bodies on tripods with different lenses because you want a full view and a closer view..  The closest if I remember correctly is 2 miles and it goes up from there to over 5 miles.  Again if memory serves me.  It isn't free, BTW.  You need a ticket and it is first come first served.  It may have changed since it has been years for me.

He has the distances pretty much correct.  Two miles would be VERY close.  It really depends upon your viewing location.

I have relatives who live in Titusville, FL.  They used to talk about the Apollo and Shuttle launches all the time.  They claimed that they had a pretty good view of Apollo and Shuttle launches from their house. They used a cheap telescope.

Try to use Google Maps to find “ Cape Canaveral Vehicle Assembly Building “.  The “Cape” is actually a sizeable barrier island two miles off of the coastline.  But, it is several miles wide, east to west, at its’ widest point.

All of the launch pads are located along the eastern shoreline of the island.  The large ones are near the VHA, about two miles away.  Smaller launch pads are several miles to the south.

I was going to suggest two tripods, but you might be lucky to get one set up.  I would think that the further you are away, the more room you are likely to have.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements