cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CANON 90D - Rings/lines when filming! Help!

ella_mcmahon
Apprentice

8B231005-7331-474A-B306-B9FE849A3BF7.jpeg

66067BAD-8D8E-4B61-8AC9-ADEC215AF33E.jpeg

FDB50EBF-1962-410A-85F4-0AF2B7AF399E.jpeg

Can anyone please tell me why this ring keeps occurring when I’m filming? It happens in all kinds of light and on both my lenses.

When I turned it onto manual mode and changed it to 4K, the line changed shape and straightened out with a slight kink to the left of it. I’m not sure if it’s something to do with the sensor or the lens. Changing the colour temperature in the white balance slightly improved it, but I haven’t been able to test it in proper day light since doing this 

im not very tech savvy so don’t know where to start! 

8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

It looks like a hair on your sensor. If you put the camera in manual sensor cleaning mode with the lens removed, the mirror will flip out of the way and you can look at the sensor for a hair. If you find one, turn the camera with the lens mount facing down, and carefully blow air straight up into the camera opening using a rocket bulb blower to try to blow it out of the camera. Be careful not to touch the sensor surface.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

You are using a Sigma lens that needs a firmware update.  This was a common problem when the 90D was initially released.  I do not recall which one of the lens and image correction settings causes this issue with Sigma lenses.  Disable all in-camera lens/image correction settings.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

For example, ….

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS-DSLR-Mirrorless-Cameras/Dark-rings-around-JPEGs-with-Sigma-le... 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe that problem created a perfect circle or circles that were centered on the image. This is not a circle, and the OP says it changes shape slightly sometimes. It looks like a hair to me.

@Anonymous wrote:

I believe that problem created a perfect circle or circles that were centered on the image. This is not a circle, and the OP says it changes shape slightly sometimes. It looks like a hair to me.

…then it could be a sign of a failing shutter.  Hairs are perfectly shaped ike that.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"It happens in all kinds of light and on both my lenses."

And both your lenses are .................................................?

But very first is to have the camera professionally cleaned. Whether you have a local camera shop or you send it to Canon do that first. If you have off brand lenses they could do that. If all your lenses are Canon brand then its not likely a lens issue. However any lens can fail. I also highly doubt a shutter failing. Get it cleaned.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just found this video to illustrate what I was describing above:

Using a blower to clean your camera's sensor. 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Yes agree with Bob, the OP needs to get it cleaned before any further actions are taken either professionally or with a Rocket blower at least.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements