cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CANON 5D MK4 : SD CARD WRITE-PROTECTED

JEFCASSAR
Apprentice

Hello guys,

I am experiencing a strange issue with my 5D MK IV. Basically, all SD Card (except 1) that I am inserting in the camera are returning an error message stating that the card is write-protected. To note that:

1. The switches on the cards are in the correct position.

2. The same cards are working fine on other models.

3. Bought brand new cards, but having same issue.

4. CF cards are working fine.

5. Checked for debris in the card slot but no issues were noticed.

Anyone experienced something similar with his gear?

6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

You might try using canned air aimed down the SD card slot to blow out the slot. Otherwise, the camera needs servicing.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"3. Bought brand new cards, but having same issue."

Top good brand name SD? From good retailers not Amazon or eBay? They all work in your Windows OS computer? They are the SD cards that are listed in your Canon manual?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I am using both SANDISK and KINGSTON makes. But as already explained, all SD-CARDs are working fine on other camera models including my computer. 

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

The make of the SD card has nothing to do with it.  The so-called "switch" on the SD card is just a piece of plastic that slide back and forth; it doesn't do anything.  There's supposed to be a sensor -- like a beam-of-light sensor -- in the camera which senses the "switch" position and acts accordingly.  Sounds like your camera's sensor is faulty.  5DIV's idea of canned air might work; good luck.  Otherwise, servicing.

Thanks a lot and will definitely try this out, but how can you explain the fact that only 1 SD-CARD is working, whereas all of the rest are not?  If it has to do with the sensor, either it works every time or not, right? 

Maybe the little bit of plastic is slightly larger, or misaligned. and sticking out on that card?  Examine them and see.  Since the "switch" really is a dumb piece of plastic, there must be some physical difference, and maybe you can see what that is.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements