cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Built in flash for EOS Rebel T4i

Valentine
Apprentice

Hello,

I have a EOS Rebel T4i and I keep getting an error message with the built-in flash: "Err 05 Built in flash could not be raised".

I turn the camera on and off but the built in flash still does not raise.

Is there somewhere I can look to fix this problem?

4 REPLIES 4

amfoto1
Authority

Usually this is an easy fix....

Canon cameras have a micro-switch located under one of the leaf springs in the camera's hot shoe. This "tells" the camera when a flash is mounted and the built-in flash shouldn't be popped up. It's not uncommon for this micro-switch to stick or for the leaf spring to not fully return and keep the switch from popping back up all the way.

This website http://www.conraderb.com/flashrepair/ shows several problems that can occur and how to fix them, including the small button of the micro-switch I mentioned above.  It uses a different camera model, but all Canon DSLRs are similar. Scroll down to see more about the switch. Unless your hot shoe is loose, too, or the pin that actuates the micro-switch is missing completely, you should not need to disassemble anything. But the illustrations showing the disassembly can give you a good idea of what you are dealing with (note: the website shows using a piece of metal from a paperclip as replacement for the the pin in the micro-switch... I've also seen a thick plastic bristle from a hair brush used,

If it's the micro-switch causing the problem,  usually a wooden toothpick or a small, precision screwdriver can be used to gently lift the leaf spring, and, if needed, lightly tap on the micro-switch to encourage it to pop all the back way up.

If this doesn't work, it's possible the latching mechanism got bent somehow. This is a lot less common and isn't discussed at that website, but I've seen it elsewhere on the Internet. Just do a search if you think that's the problem with your camera.

Now, to be honest, I just don't find much use for my cameras' built-in flashes. The best solution for this problem, IMO, is simply to get an auxiliary flash.Those work much better for many reasons: Auxiliary flashes are much more powerful, don't drain the camera's battery reducing the number of shots I can take with it, recycle much faster especially since I often use external battery packs with them, and are less prone to redeye and ugly shadows because the flash head is farther from the lens axis (and can be moved even farther away with a flash bracket and off-camera shoe cord). One of my four year old 7Ds has had the "stuck flash" syndrome since new, and I've never bothered fixing it, though I've taken about 100,000 images with that camera. That should give you an idea how little I use the built-in flash!  

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

Thanks Alan! I will definitely look at the link and I am considering getting a mounted flash.

Alix

did you get your flash working  I have  the same problem and when I got the flash plate off I don't have the hole there that he says to put a pin in to make the repair.

Had the same problem with my t4i within days of purchasing the camera.  Contacted Canon support and was told to remove the battery for a minute or so and try again.  I did what was recommended and have had no problems with the flash since.

Announcements