cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug Report: EOS R8 Magnify Button Doesn't Work in Image Playback - Firmware 1.0.0

SometimesSepia
Apprentice

When viewing images in playback, the magnify button doesn't work. I think this is a firmware issue because this button is also used for AF point selection when in shooting mode and works just fine. I am still able to zoom in on the images in playback using the touch screen. Canon EOS R8 Firmware 1.0.0. Please help.

29 REPLIES 29

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

One of our next recommendations would be to perform a settings reset on the camera and see if the behavior can be reproduced.  In many cases, its a setting or particular combination of them that "appears" to cause unexpected behavior. This only takes a few minutes to confirm. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi Rick - Yes, I was wondering if there could be some other setting (like a custom button, though I've not assigned anything different there) causing the conflict.  I'll look around a bit more and otherwise reset, and will then report back.  Thanks. 

Hi again - 

So, resetting just the "Basic Settings" did not fix the issue.  However, resetting most of the "Other Settings" (I held back on resetting copyright and communications preferences) did fix it. 

I probably should have done those one at a time to see exactly which category cleared it, but perhaps I'll be doing it again once I get everything set up the way I want it , unfortunately.  If so, I'll do them one at a time.

Does seem like a bug since there's no option (that I can think of) that should be disabling that zoom function.

Thanks for your guidance on this.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I ran into the same issue with my R6 Mark II.  Which control are you using to zoom/magnify a playback image?

The default button for zoom control is not the same as a DSLR.  I just took a look at the rear and top of the camera body at B&H.  The [ON / OFF] switch looks like it is a thumb wheel.  That is the default control for zooming on the R6M2, not the Main Wheel by the shutter as it would be on a DSLR.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

To get a better idea of what I am talking about, take a look at the to of the R6, not the R6M2.

Those controls weren't an issue if, say, I first used the touchscreen to pinch and initiate zoom mode that way.  It's only the use of the AF Point Selection button (with the blue magnifying glass below it of course) that wasn't working to initiate zoom mode. In other words, the only thing I couldn't do was initiate zoom mode. The rest was fine.

I've started recustomizing and am about done. Zoom button still works. Really strange.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Glad to hear there was a positive outcome.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@SometimesSepia wrote:

When viewing images in playback, the magnify button doesn't work. I think this is a firmware issue because this button is also used for AF point selection when in shooting mode and works just fine. I am still able to zoom in on the images in playback using the touch screen. Canon EOS R8 Firmware 1.0.0. Please help.

The [MAGNIFY] button always worked.  It would seem that the initial playback magnification and initial zoom magnification are the same.  When the two initial settings are the same, then pressing the [MAGNIFY] button seems to have no effect.  

Combine the above with the default [ZOOM] control no longer being the Main Dial, one can get the impression that [MAGNIFY] is not working.  

Like I said, I ran into a similar issue with the R6M2.  I would press [MAGNIFY] and the display would not change, which was fine.  My DSLRs can exhibit the same behavior.  But, when I tried to change the zoom factor with the Main Dial, then nothing changed.  

[EDIT] It would seem like the camera would not enter zoom playback mode, when it was!  The fact that you can zoom using the touch screen confirms that camera entered zoom/magnify mode.

Nothing changed because I was using the incorrect control to change the zoom factor.  The default zoom control wasn’t the Main Dial.  I hate to sound cliche, but I discovered this difference by reading the Destruction Manual.

I realized that I needed to use the [Quick Control Dial 2] to control zoom factor, instead of the Main Dial near the Shutter Button.  I tested it.  Sure enough, the [QCD 2] button changed the zoom factor.  Getting used to this new control is going to be an uphill learning curve and adjustment, for me.

I went into the Custom Control Menu and changed this setting.  I can now use the Main Control Dial to control the zoom factor, just like I did on my DSLRs.

Logu
Contributor

I definitely think it is either a bug or not programmed in a good way. I could replicate the behaviour: Setting the magnify/focus point button to any other function but the default "AF point selection" disables the magnification function. According to the setting in shooting mode the button either does nothing (for exmple "direct AF area selection") or sets the camera from play mode back into shooting mode (for example "direct subject selection"). Only with the default assignment does it act as a magnify button in play mode. Interestingly, setting any other button as a magnify button also does not work as long as the focus point/magnify button is not set to ist default operation as "AF point selection". 

In a few words,  the reprogramming of the button in shooting mode will lose its function as a magnify button in play mode. 

Please consider this in one of the next firmware updates. I think it is definitely a bug. Keep in mind, that no one other button can be programmed as magnify button as long as the AF Point/magnify button is not at its default setting.

@Logu wrote:

I definitely think it is either a bug or not programmed in a good way. I could replicate the behaviour: Setting the magnify/focus point button to any other function but the default "AF point selection" disables the magnification function. According to the setting in shooting mode the button either does nothing (for exmple "direct AF area selection") or sets the camera from play mode back into shooting mode (for example "direct subject selection"). Only with the default assignment does it act as a magnify button in play mode. Interestingly, setting any other button as a magnify button also does not work as long as the focus point/magnify button is not set to ist default operation as "AF point selection". 

In a few words,  the reprogramming of the button in shooting mode will lose its function as a magnify button in play mode. 

Please consider this in one of the next firmware updates. I think it is definitely a bug. Keep in mind, that no one other button can be programmed as magnify button as long as the AF Point/magnify button is not at its default setting.

Your observations and conclusions are incorrect.  Please refer to my explanation of how the Zoom button functionality works just above.  

The bottom line is that users are using the wrong control to magnify the image.  The main wheel does not control zoom and neither does the rear wheel on the rear panel on camera models that have one.

The advanced R series bodies add another secondary wheel control, one which does not appear on DSLRs.  In the case of the R8, this control is integrated into the On/Off switch.  This secondary wheel is the default control for adjust zoom magnification.

There is a menu option that allows users to select which user control wheel is used to control zoom magnification.  I would suggest to some users to change this to be the Main Wheel.

Announcements