cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug Report: EOS R8 Magnify Button Doesn't Work in Image Playback - Firmware 1.0.0

SometimesSepia
Apprentice

When viewing images in playback, the magnify button doesn't work. I think this is a firmware issue because this button is also used for AF point selection when in shooting mode and works just fine. I am still able to zoom in on the images in playback using the touch screen. Canon EOS R8 Firmware 1.0.0. Please help.

29 REPLIES 29

The users are not using the wrong control to magnify the image. First, it is designated with blue magnifying glass, so this is surely the right button to use in play mode to magnify the image. Blue colour = function in play mode. Second, in the R8 user manual is explained, that this is exactly the button to be used. I consulted the user manual before googling and coming for help here. How can it be that this is the wrong control? There is no sense in losing the magnifying function once the default operation in play mode is changed. Understanding this is so easy. 

But I made a mistake too: although one can assign one of the 4 direction dials to be used for magnification in play mode it does not work, no matter how the "AF point/magnify" button is set. Although this is irrelevant for me I find it highly confusing. 

So to keep the only button intended for magnifying images in play mode I should not change its default shooting operation setting. Of course this makes no sense. 

I do not want to use a dial for initial magnification in play mode either. I tried to implement your suggestion changing dials but there is not such an option in the R8 other than reverse the operation in shooting mode. No way to set which dial should be used for magnification.

Are you sure that you refer exactly to the R8? If yes which menu item is it?

@Logu wrote:

The users are not using the wrong control to magnify the image. First, it is designated with blue magnifying glass, so this is surely the right button to use in play mode to magnify the image. Blue colour = function in play mode. Second, in the R8 user manual is explained, that this is exactly the button to be used. I consulted the user manual before googling and coming for help here. How can it be that this is the wrong control? There is no sense in losing the magnifying function once the default operation in play mode is changed. Understanding this is so easy. 

But I made a mistake too: although one can assign one of the 4 direction dials to be used for magnification in play mode it does not work, no matter how the "AF point/magnify" button is set. Although this is irrelevant for me I find it highly confusing

So to keep the only button intended for magnifying images in play mode I should not change its default shooting operation setting. Of course this makes no sense

I do not want to use a dial for initial magnification in play mode either. I tried to implement your suggestion changing dials but there is not such an option in the R8 other than reverse the operation in shooting mode. No way to set which dial should be used for magnification.

Are you sure that you refer exactly to the R8? If yes which menu item is it?

I have told you which control that you should use.  The [MAGNIFY] button puts the camera into magnify mode.  

Use the main control wheel to zoom in or out of the image.  Use the buttons that you keep trying to reprogram to move the magnified area around the image.

You say the you do not want to use the main control wheel to zoom in and out.  I have no response for that.  Good Luck!

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The [MAGNIFY] button puts the camera into magnify mode

This is not what the user manual say. As much as I appreciate your quick response and trying to help I am afraid you do not refer to the R8. And you ignore my findings.

In respect to the R8 your suggestion simply does not work. Again, following examples, just freshly reproduced: If the "magnify/AF point" button is set to "direct select of sub to detect" pressing it in play mode sets the camera back in shoot mode, so how should I use a dial to magnify? If the button is set to "Direct AF area selection" pressing it in play mode does absolutely nothing. Both dials keep scrolling through the images, no magnification happens.

There is no option in the R8, to set a dial for magnification. Once magnified I can use a dial to change the magnification, this works fine. But the initial magnification is the problem here.

This is why people should start their own threads.  The OP was pressing the [MAGNIFY] button but not using the wheel to actually change the magnification.

Please note, these directions only apply when the camera is Playback Mode.  Some buttons change their functionality when the camera is in different modes. You must press the button and then turn the main dial to zoom in and out.

9060BE74-DD2A-4A41-BCD0-18E94269411D.jpeg

Good Luck!

Thank you. This is exactly the item from the user manual I was referring to. The 🔍 button only works as such as long as it is set to its default operation in shooting mode, which is "AF point selection".  

My findings explain the behaviour described by the thread starter. A new thread would be redundant.

I hope canon acknowledges this as a bug und remidies it through firmware update.

I do not need a focus point selector, so for me this is a waste of a customizable button.

“ My findings explain the behaviour described by the thread starter. A new thread would be redundant.

You are incorrect.  A new thread would not be redundant because you are reporting an entirely different issue from the OP.  The OP reported the magnify function did not work, at all.

The OP was not reprogramming buttons, at all.  The OP expected the button to work like it would in some shooting modes as a focusing aide.  In this mode, repeated presses of the same button changes the magnification.  

906A4BD2-8941-4228-A4D2-D12237807BD5.jpeg

In Playback Mode, repeated presses of the same button can appear to have no effect, depending upon the setting of the initial zoom / magnify factor for playback.  You need to use the Main Wheel to adjust magnification, not repeated button presses on the initial control.

BTW, your issue is not a bug.  The button behavior changes depending upon which mode the camera is in.  You have usurped and overridden the default button programming with that of your own.  You are expecting to have the best of both worlds, and you cannot. 

3DD7DD00-49A6-4895-8F1C-75BCAA43B462.jpeg

You cannot reprogram a button and still expect it to retain its original functionality.  Your new functionality will be present in all modes because the custom programming does not allow you to define functionality for different operating modes.

Custom button programming means all or nothing.  This behavior has been present in Canon DSLRs since they first introduced custom programming to the control buttons.

This is not entirely true. He reprogrammed the button in shooting mode. The button already has a different function in playback mode (magnification). He didn't reprogram that. So you are incorrect to state this is not a bug - it clearly is.

angelamyers53
Apprentice

I just bought this camera about 3 months ago and the magnify button in not working, have you figured out the issue yet?  thank you in advance 🙂

It stops working as soon as you assign any other Shooting Funktion to the button as the default one, which is "AF point selection". I suppose this is what you have done. If assign "AF point selection" back it will work again as a magnifying button. This is clearly a missfunction or a bug as you lose one custom button if you don't need the "AF point selection" assigner to any of the buttons. Or if you want it assigned to any other button, for exmple one of the four direction buttons to avoid moving your thumb across the whole back of the camera, as it is on Sony cameras which do not have a joystick.

We recommend reaching out to support for further assistance with this issue so that they can explain the proper use of this functionality and help determine if your unit is operating as it should, as it is clear you are determined yours is malfunctioning. 

Support is available Monday through Friday from 9am to 9pm (ET), and Saturdays from 9am to 8pm (ET), excluding holidays, at 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666). 

If you are outside of the United States, please visit https://canon.us/globalsupport to find support options in your home country. 

Announcements