cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blurry photos with zoom lens

LNieman
Contributor

I have a canon xsi that takes lovely, crisp pics with the EFS 18-55 IS lens and a EF 50 1:1.4.  I wanted a zoom to take pictures of sporting events like soccer, baseball, and horseback riding.  I purchased Canon zoom EFS 55-250 1:4-5.6 IS.  Every single picture I take with this lens is blurry.  If a take a photo with a FL of 55 or 250, the image is blurry.  If there is action or if I'm zooming in on a still object, the image is blurry.  I have used the lens in great lighting conditions, and still blurry images.  I have made sure the the settings for the lens include stabilizer "on".  I have tried to trouble shoot, but have missed too many shots and need expertise.  Not sure if there is more for me to do (operator error), or is this an issue with the lens?

24 REPLIES 24

As you suggested, I reset the camera, put the camera in P mode and made sure the AF was on.  I took a few pics of my son kicking a soccer ball.

ISO 800, 1/320, This is typical of the shots I get with this lens.  My son was even relatively still during the shot.  IMG_0594.jpg

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

What we want to do is to eliminate the camera and lens in this equation.  That is why I wanted the camera reset and outside in good daylight.  Any camera and lens should work well in that situation.

If you do the test shot from a tripod and still get a photo that looks like the one you posted, the lens is faulty.

I am correct in assuming the other lens you have works as it is expected?

BTW, with a 250mm lens on a crop body, 1/320 is a little on the slow side for hand holding.  1/500 is more better. Smiley Happy 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

BTW, with a 250mm lens on a crop body, 1/320 is a little on the slow side for hand holding.  1/500 is more better. Smiley Happy 

And the EXIF is saying 1/250, not 320...  certainly on the cusp, although with IS I would have expected better.

Thank you, everyone, for your input so far.  I appreciate the time and expertise you have given to help me answer this question.  OK.  I had time to take some photos this weekend:  

This photo was taken with a tripod with the lens in question:IMG_0600.jpg

The following shots were both taken with a standard 18-55mm lens (unedited)

IMG_0617.jpg

and...IMG_0621.jpg

This photo was taken at a good extended trot, so good motion there as well, with clarity throughout.

Thanks for your thoughts.

IMG_0617.jpg

IMG_0621.jpg

Thought I should include the same image quality as the first shot (taken with the zoom).  When I look at these two shots in aperature, they are sharp images.

The lens is bad.  Smiley Sad

To make absolutely sure, try it on a different camera body.

EB

If you were to recommend another moderately priced zoom lens for sports shots (like riding, soccer, baseball), would you do so? Only if you feel comfortable doing so. Thank you.

What does "moderately" priced mean?  Smiley Frustrated

The best buy, bang for the buck, is the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG APO OS HSM at around $1100.  The best lens period bar none is the Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8 L II IS at around double price of the Sigma.

Not needing or wanting f2.8, Canon makes the lens in a f4 version and it costs considerably less.

These lenses are constant aperture and they don't extend as you zoom.  A real plus in my book.

I don't recommend Tokina or Tamron because of their horrible track record with Customer Support.  If you are going to produce hit amd miss lenses, you need good CS!   However I just bought a new Tamron and things look very much better.  Maybe they will be OK from now on but I don't like to recommend stuff I don't have personal knowledge of.  And besides why buy the Tamron when the Sigma is so good and their CS is fine.  Or if you have the cash, the Canon is top of the mark and CS is out of sight good.

EB

Thanks!

@LNieman wrote:
If you were to recommend another moderately priced zoom lens for sports shots (like riding, soccer, baseball), would you do so? Only if you feel comfortable doing so. Thank you.

You got a lemon, it can happen with any product.  But that lens in general is a terrific little lens given it's price and size. Unless you're prepared to spend $1000+ on a lens, I would just get another of the same.

Announcements