cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Besides the ability to do video is the 60D more powerful or faster than the 50D.

jmathews50
Apprentice

I have a 50D is there any reason other than the ability to do video to buy a 60D.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

c1video
Contributor

Canon took a big step backward with the 60D, I agree with other posters.

The flip-out screen is nice for video, but really not so valuable for still shooting. In fact, I consider the Rebel T5i to be way-superior to the 60D, and that's reflected in the price of the two bodies ($700 for a 60D and $850 for a T5i).  Don't "upgrade" to the the 60D.  The next upgrade from the 60D is now the 7D, which is a fine camera.

Canon seems to be working in three directions: creating cheaper full-frame cameras (6D vs. 5DIII), upgrading the Rebel line, and shifting what used to be the 40D, 50D product line to the 7D.  I think the 60D will be the last "two-digit" body.  In fact, the EOS-M has the same internals as the T5i but in a tiny body.

Something for everyone (except the 60D 🙂

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Skirball
Authority

I don't think the difference is big enough to warrant jumping from a 50D to a 60D, especially with the 70D being released some time in the next decade.

In fact, just from what I've read the 50D has a bit of a cult following, some people like it more than the 60D.  I know they took away microfocus on the 60D, and I believe the 50D also was a bit quicker, both in shutter lag and FPS.

I also have a 50D, and I would not even look at a 60D.  First the build quality is not there.  The 50d has a magnesm body, the 60D a polymer.  The 50d has micro adjustment, the 60d has not.  If I were in your boots I would do as I just did, I ordered a 7D refurbished from B&H, for $959.  It is better in everyway, focus, frames per second, video, Image quality.  Low light, higher ISO, the list goes on.  Don't just go up a step, go the entire stair case.  

c1video
Contributor

Canon took a big step backward with the 60D, I agree with other posters.

The flip-out screen is nice for video, but really not so valuable for still shooting. In fact, I consider the Rebel T5i to be way-superior to the 60D, and that's reflected in the price of the two bodies ($700 for a 60D and $850 for a T5i).  Don't "upgrade" to the the 60D.  The next upgrade from the 60D is now the 7D, which is a fine camera.

Canon seems to be working in three directions: creating cheaper full-frame cameras (6D vs. 5DIII), upgrading the Rebel line, and shifting what used to be the 40D, 50D product line to the 7D.  I think the 60D will be the last "two-digit" body.  In fact, the EOS-M has the same internals as the T5i but in a tiny body.

Something for everyone (except the 60D 🙂

Announcements