cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery Requirements for Newest Mirrorless Cameras

dpsaiz
Enthusiast

Do the newest mirrorless cameras require Canon only batteries. I am sure at some point Canon mirrorless cameras will not work with third party batteries due to the use of a chip in genuine Canon batteries that won't be available in third party batteries.

Does anyone know for sure?

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

There is currently a rumor about this circulating, but it is not confirmed.  I do not think Canon will restrict use of 3rd party batteries but some features may not be available if a battery from a 3rd party is used.  These might be video or high performance still image features of a particular body.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

dpsaiz
Enthusiast

If true that would cause a problem for Cannon owners cuz as soon as those batteries are out of stock and discontinued then he's out of the use of his own camera that he spent $4,000 on.

I'm sure those batteries would have some kind of a chip in it so the camera knows if it's third party or not and I can imagine those Canon batteries with the chip being a lot more expensive than your batteries without a chip.

“ If true that would cause a problem for Cannon owners cuz as soon as those batteries are out of stock and discontinued then he's out of the use of his own camera that he spent $4,000 on.“

That would be true for any company that sells batteries for their battery powered products.  

It is not unheard of for third party accessories to damage cameras under warranty. The RF mount adapters are a good example of this. 

Should a company be responsible for warranty repairs on products that were used with third party accessories, instead of the manufacturer’s recommended products?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

dpsaiz
Enthusiast

Its very different when you buy a $65 Makita cordless drill or circular saw and the batteries are no where to be found but when you spend thousands and thousands on camera bodies then have trouble finding genuine Canon batteries that have been discontinued or indefinitely back ordered then there's a problem.

Announcements