cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery Recommend for 5D Mark IV_LP-E6N model

clovislavigne
Contributor

Hi:

How's your day so far!! I know it may be not appropriate but where or which brand you choose for your 2nd, 3rd..and more batteries for your camera?  The legit battery is kinda expensive, and I bought the camera with 2 lenses. I've broken xd  I do saw some nice battery on ebay tho. Any ideas? 

Clovis L
Columbus, Ohio
–––––––
Canon 5D Mark IV, 50mm F/1.8 , 24-70mm 4L
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

When I first got my 5D IV, I used the same Canon LP-E6 battery from my older EOS 6D and then later added on a second LP-E6N.

These days you can also get LP-E6NH which have around 15% better life over the LP-E6N.

The nice thing about the Canon batteries is you get this "forwards and backwards" compatibility,

In terms of brands, I only use Canon.  And then I only purchase from reputable (and authorized Canon) dealers such as B&H Photo.

I would definitely avoid eBay, Amazon and other sellers such as Walmart where there's no guarantee as to if the battery won't be counterfeit.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

When I first got my 5D IV, I used the same Canon LP-E6 battery from my older EOS 6D and then later added on a second LP-E6N.

These days you can also get LP-E6NH which have around 15% better life over the LP-E6N.

The nice thing about the Canon batteries is you get this "forwards and backwards" compatibility,

In terms of brands, I only use Canon.  And then I only purchase from reputable (and authorized Canon) dealers such as B&H Photo.

I would definitely avoid eBay, Amazon and other sellers such as Walmart where there's no guarantee as to if the battery won't be counterfeit.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Hi!! Ricky:

Haha. There is a lot of info. Yeah. I'd love to have legit canon batteries and just lack of budget. I'm using one Canon battery and another battery along with the original bundle–Li-ion Battery pack. The battery kinda sucks. I took the camera and shot around 200 pics on the street with my models and the batter is around 40% left.  I did NOT recommend that.   Yeah, I may try to get one when I start to do a wedding or any kinda job and probably buy a total of three Canon batteries just in case. Thanks. Ricky. 

Best!!

Clovis L
Columbus, Ohio
–––––––

@clovislavigne wrote:

Hi!! Ricky:

Haha. There is a lot of info. Yeah. I'd love to have legit canon batteries and just lack of budget. I'm using one Canon battery and another battery along with the original bundle–Li-ion Battery pack

I buy Canon bateries, but also Wasabi brand. I have used the Wasabi brand in a T4i, 7D II, and 5D IV for years. I have four Wasabi LP-E6N and four Canon LP-E6N for the 7D2 and the 5D4 that I keep dated and I swap them out regularly. The Wasabi give just as good performance as the Canon, IMO, and they will charge in the Canon charger, plus their electronics matches Canons, i.e., they give accurate status reports in camera so you can see how they are holding up and how much overall life is left in the battery. Most people don't notice this, but in camera (menu), there is another 3 bar indicator, along with the charge status that shows overall batery life so you can get an estimate of how many more charges your battery will take, yes, it's a guestimate, but when you get to one bar, it's time to buy a new battery. Most "off brands" don't do this. I've even used both Wasabi and Canon LP-E6N in my wifes R6 and although they don't last as long as the LP-E6NH, they aren't far behind, but she/we don't shoot video, but my wife sets for hours reviewing images on the LCD, and that eats the juice 🙂

I do buy them on Amazon, but did my research and have stayed with the same vendor (your a fool if you just buy willy-nilly off Amazon or any on-line store for that matter with out research). If you just don't like Amazon, Wasabi has a web site, which has the same prices as Amazon and it's sometimes shady vendors, LOL.

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Haha:

Thanks, man!! There is a lot of info and I do learn a lot.  I will probably buy Wasabi firstly and see how it goes since the Canon batteries are kinda expensive as a student.  Glad to see you have a photography family xd

Yeah. I really appreciate your help and definitely keep buying from one vendor.

Clovis L
Columbus, Ohio
–––––––

"There is a lot of info and I do learn a lot."

Sometimes going cheap is not so cheap! Smiley Surprised

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Yeah..sometimes the battery is so trash!! 

Clovis L
Columbus, Ohio
–––––––

Hi:

Will accept your answer as a solution next time since he helped me twice. xd  sry

Clovis L
Columbus, Ohio
–––––––

"... when I start to do a wedding or any kinda job ..."

I've been doing photography for decades and I can tell you there is no way I would do a job for a client with third world, third party equipment.  Especially batteries and memory cards. When clients depend on you and hire you to do a job you need to do it. They need to know you will.  My 2 cents and worth every penny.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I've also had good service from a couple of Wasabi batteries over the years. But I would never consider shopping by price only for camera batteries.

If you can save maybe 20% or so on a third-party battery I would at least consider it. But when you see batteries that are 40%, 50% or 60% cheaper than OEM I wouldn't give them a second look.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements