cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery Compartment Clip Broken (Canon T3i)

computerlife22
Apprentice

So, after removing a battery from my camera, I heard a snap and now the gray clip that holds the battery isn't how it was before. It's like detached from the side, and it just fell. For the looks of it, it looks like it was just glued to the side of the camera. But I am not entirely sure...

Here are some photos... Please take a look:

20131212_212551.jpg

In the photo below, I moved the gray clip back up with my hands. It went back up easily, but is not secure or tight:

20131212_212551.jpg

I am currently under warranty, as I bought my camera late January 2013. Would the warranty cover this? 

Does anybody know if this is repairable, and how much I should expect to spend if so? I am considering just ordering a grip and using that instead. I can still insert batteries, and if I move the gray clip myself, they will stay, but not as well as they did before. Are there any suggestions as to what I could do?

4 REPLIES 4

Mykolas
Authority

Hi computerlife22!

Thanks for posting.

The camera will need to be repaired.  We are unable to provide an estimate for what the repair will cost, if indeed it will cost you anything at all.  This will be determined after the Factory Service Center receives and evaluates the camera.

To start the repair process, you'll need to complete a Repair Request on our website.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

That is what I was thinking. However, the process apparantly takes seven days. Would I be able to slip by with simply purchasing a battery grip, and using that with the camera all the time? I need my camera for the next few months, as I am taking a photography / videography class, and well.... if I don't have my camera, I will fail the class. Would this be at all possible?

Keep in mind that I can still put the battery in the camera, move the clip to the proper position, close the door, and use the camera. The camera is completely functional, and honestly, I can live with it for the next few months. But it is annoying me, and I would love to get this fixed if I can. (If only shipping was instant!)

computerlife22,

If you would prefer to continue to use the camera as-is or get a battery grip, you should be fine.  However, if you ever get time to send the camera in for the repair in the future, the repair option is available to you.

This didn't answer your question? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Send it to Canon. Do NOT mess with it.              Today! Smiley Indifferent

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements