cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advise Needed: 100-400 II or 7D Mark III, wildlife

bsharp321
Apprentice

I'm currently shooting wildlife with a Canon 6D + 70-200mm II with a 1.4 III.  Not much reach with this combination so I've considered purchasing the 100-400mm II to use with the 6D.  Instead, should I hold out and wait for the 7d III and use the aformentioned lens combination?  This combination would give me (200*1.4*1.6) 448mm at F4.  Obviously, the combo of the 7D III with the 100-400 II would be ideal but its a cost thing.

Thanks in advance,

Tim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@bsharp321 wrote:

I'm chomping at the bit to upgrade but I don't want to be dissapointed.  Image quality is huge in my book. 

Tim

A 7D2 is not going to suddenly give you a boost in image quality.  I feel cropped shots with a 6D look at least as good as I uncropped shots from a 7D2.

It will give you less reason to use an extender.  Of course, there will be a small price to pay.  Increased noise, compared to a 6D.  But, the noise is pretty insignificant at ISO 800 and lower.  Some would say ISO 1600 and lower.  But, you will notice a definite difference compared to a 6D as ISO settings rise.

The main advantage that a 7D2 could give you is a reason to retire your 1.4x extender.  At 200mm, your 6D and extender would be equivalent to 280mm, and some loss in AF speed.  With a 7D2 and no extender, you would get a 320mm focal length, and no loss in AF speed.  Again, nothing comes for free.

I think the 7D2 was, and still is, a fantastic camera.  It is a “in my bag” camera body for action photography on a bright sunny day.  The AF system was one of the best in any Canon DSLR.  However, that AF performance edge is being overshadowed by Canon’s next generation of AF system, which can be found in the 80D and 6D Mark II.

I want most of my action photography exposed at 1/1000, or faster.  I shoot in M mode, with Auto ISO, which is capped at ISO 12800 in my 6D, and ISO 3200 in my 7D2.  Basically, this means I can shoot two stops faster with the 6D compared to the 7D2.  This is why the 7D2 is usually not the first camera out of the bag.  It would if I were using the 70-200mm f/s.8, but more times than not, I am shooting with the slower 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L. 

Or, I am shooting with a Sigma 150-600mm “C”, which is even slower.  With the Sigma 150-600mm, I prefer cropping shots with the 6D, because my ISO is typically ranging from 800-6400.  The 6D shots simply look better because of the lower noise. I think you would find a 7D2 to be a step backwards, when it comes to noise.

I say invest in the 100-400mm Mark II, instead of the 7D2.  You will love the lens.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Thanks so much for all the excellent responses.  I'm chomping at the bit to upgrade but I don't want to be dissapointed.  Image quality is huge in my book.  Nice to hear about the possible release of a larger Canon zoom.  That might be something to hold out for.  

Regards,

Tim

@bsharp321 wrote:

I'm chomping at the bit to upgrade but I don't want to be dissapointed.  Image quality is huge in my book. 

Tim

A 7D2 is not going to suddenly give you a boost in image quality.  I feel cropped shots with a 6D look at least as good as I uncropped shots from a 7D2.

It will give you less reason to use an extender.  Of course, there will be a small price to pay.  Increased noise, compared to a 6D.  But, the noise is pretty insignificant at ISO 800 and lower.  Some would say ISO 1600 and lower.  But, you will notice a definite difference compared to a 6D as ISO settings rise.

The main advantage that a 7D2 could give you is a reason to retire your 1.4x extender.  At 200mm, your 6D and extender would be equivalent to 280mm, and some loss in AF speed.  With a 7D2 and no extender, you would get a 320mm focal length, and no loss in AF speed.  Again, nothing comes for free.

I think the 7D2 was, and still is, a fantastic camera.  It is a “in my bag” camera body for action photography on a bright sunny day.  The AF system was one of the best in any Canon DSLR.  However, that AF performance edge is being overshadowed by Canon’s next generation of AF system, which can be found in the 80D and 6D Mark II.

I want most of my action photography exposed at 1/1000, or faster.  I shoot in M mode, with Auto ISO, which is capped at ISO 12800 in my 6D, and ISO 3200 in my 7D2.  Basically, this means I can shoot two stops faster with the 6D compared to the 7D2.  This is why the 7D2 is usually not the first camera out of the bag.  It would if I were using the 70-200mm f/s.8, but more times than not, I am shooting with the slower 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L. 

Or, I am shooting with a Sigma 150-600mm “C”, which is even slower.  With the Sigma 150-600mm, I prefer cropping shots with the 6D, because my ISO is typically ranging from 800-6400.  The 6D shots simply look better because of the lower noise. I think you would find a 7D2 to be a step backwards, when it comes to noise.

I say invest in the 100-400mm Mark II, instead of the 7D2.  You will love the lens.

Fantastic information!  So much to consider.  Thanks so much for your help!

Does anyone has experience with 7D Mark ii with Canon 70-200mm/F2.8 ii on extender 2X version iii?

How's autofoucs and picture quality in a good daylight ? Do I have to use tripod or it can be hand hold?

Can I use this combination for wildlife like bird photo?

Or is the following option has better result?

Canon 7D Mark ii with Canon 400mm F/5.6L?

Thanks

@cyyuen2000 wrote:

Does anyone has experience with 7D Mark ii with Canon 70-200mm/F2.8 ii on extender 2X version iii?

How's autofoucs and picture quality in a good daylight ? Do I have to use tripod or it can be hand hold?

Can I use this combination for wildlife like bird photo?

Or is the following option has better result?

Canon 7D Mark ii with Canon 400mm F/5.6L?

Thanks

I have never used that extender with that lens.   I already own the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM.  I have used the 70-200mm f/2.8L II with the 1.4x III, and it was great on a 6D2.  I just tried it out, and did not go out taking any real photos.  I would expect great results with a 7D2, but do not be surprised if AF speed takes a minor hit.

The zoom combo can be easily handheld.  But, it will take a little practice at the super telephoto formal lengths, 400mm or greater.  Shooting with super telephoto focal lengths comes with a learning curve, and some adjustments  

The 400mm f/5.6L could be easily handheld, too.  But, it would take a little more practice than a zoom.  Using a super telephoto is like looking at the world through a straw.  When shooting handheld, it can be easy to lose your bearings.  With a zoom lens, you can back out, get your bearings, and zoom back it.  With the long prime, you may need to back away from the viewfinder, get your bearings, and then try to find your target, which you will miss sometimes.

A 400mm of focal length, combined with a 1.6x crop factor, adds up to 640mm of effective focal length.  That is a pretty long straw to look through.  For that reason, I would suggest some means of support, either a tripod if you are stationary, or a monopod if you are moving around a lot.  The support will help keep the lens pointed at the subject more easily than if you were handholding, which would require to you to acquire the subject more often.  

Ultimately, whether or not to use support depends upon what you are shooting, too.  I would be more inclined to use support when shooting sports, because the lens will stay more or less parallel to the ground.  With birds-in-flight, most types of support can be a hindrance when you are moving around a lot, and needing to point the lens upwards.

Like I said, if you have never used a super telephoto lens, then you will go through a small period of adjustments, and climb a short learning curve.  My best advice is to get out and shoot, and use a VERY fast shutter speed.  With the ASP-C sensor in th 7D2, I would recommend a MINIMUM shutter speed of 1/(2*FL), or one over twice the focal length you are using. 

Thank you!!

Announcements