cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice please on repairing my EOS 6D

atommo67
Contributor

I discovered what I believe is a broken camera part and I'm not sure what to do about it. Picture #2 shows a plastic part that was found loose inside the camera body. Would you agree that the plastic part appears to have a broken tab on the top left? And if so, do you know what this part is called? Would you recommend I try to order the part from Canon and try to put it back myself? Do you know where exactly the part in question fits in the camera (top or bottom)?camera bodycamera bodyAm I seeing a broken tab at top left?Am I seeing a broken tab at top left?

6 REPLIES 6

Danny

Hi, atommo67!

So that the Community can help you better, we need to know exactly which Canon camera model you're using. That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE.

Thanks and have a great day!

atommo67
Contributor

Sorry - the camera is an EOS 6D. I guess I'm just wondering if I should send it to Canon for repair or if it's an easy part to order and somehow re-attach.

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

The plastic part you are holding is the focus screen, and it does not have anything wrong with it . 

Normally it is held in place with a clip and is designed to be removed for cleaning or replacement. It should be possible to re-install it yourself.  Search out a “Do It Yourself” video on YouTube for instructions how to remove and replace your focus screen.  

Example:   https://youtu.be/A0polW1Bj3o 

If you don’t feel comfortable doing yourself, a good camera store might be able to do it for you. 

Mike Sowsun

Thank you!

Peter
Authority
Authority

Buy a new one. They are fragile and touching them with fingers may be enough. With a new one you will also get a decent tool to install it.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Canon Knowledge Base - QuickGuide to EOS Focusing Screens

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements