cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

90D Shutter count

Mathiman58
Apprentice

Hi I'm brand new to this and not very Tech Savvy so please excuse my ignorance. I own a Canon 90D and I am finding it impossible to get the shutter count from it? I have tried every online solution, watched every Youtube video, tried every online Shutter count application and downloaded every Canon software available. I was reliably informed that the EOS Utility would do the trick but the download I did does not have the Utility 3 option which, apparently is the one I need? I have tried the Canon connect app on my phone but the shutter count info doesn't show? I have tried to get it via Lightroom and Photoshop but that doesn't work either? When I download the Canon Digital Info software it wont recognise my camera? I am very frustrated and confused and am almost at the point of giving up on Canon for another brand. Can someone please help me? Remember to keep your reply simple, I'm not very bright it seems? Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Perhaps if I explain the process differently...  This is the best attempt you have to obtain a value without going to Canon.

1. Take a photo.
  2. Use the button with the blue arrow on it to view the image.  When that is displayed you should see one of the screens in the image below. 
  3. If the shutter count (as indicated by the red arrow on the diagram) does not show, then press the Info button (see image below) on the back of the camera until it does.  90D back.jpg
    The last four digits in that sequence are likely your shutter count.   If it is greater than the number when you first bought the camera it is likely correct.  For further assurance, if you still have a photo you took when you first got the camera, check that the number of the file name is smaller than the one on your screen.

Info Display.png

It will help you now, and for resale purposes to have a copy of the user manual, which will tell you all about the camera.  HERE is a link to that manual.  On the top right of the screen, there is a disc icon (3rd from right) click on that to download it to your computer.  It might be worth looking through that.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

That individual was either misinformed or misleading you. Shutter count information is not retrievable from an image file.

Dire Studio ShutterCount does work. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

OP said he bought the camera used. File numbers and folders would very likely be irrelevant in that case since the would be little knowledge of what the original owner did.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I appreciate that.  I was trying to find out an easy solution for them.  Of course the most correct course of action is to take it to Canon to get a shutter count, but the OP bought it without a certified one apparently and I wonder how many others will be prepared to do the same.  Anyway, they know the correct course of action now and that's down to them.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements