90D Problem

steinr98
Contributor

YEs I know Canondoes not reconize third party lenses- However please read thru this-  I have a Tamron 18-400 lens that is 5 months old.  This lens worked perfectly for the 5 months. NO wthe lens willnot focus at 200mm or above.  I sent intheLens to 

tamro- they retued in working ordere.  no mention of a problem.  Still des not work above 200mm.  There are countless( and I mean lots of 90D owners on Facebook that use this lens-  Now comes the real problem- This lens works fine on 4 different Canon bodies!! 7D MKII, 5Ti, 5D, another 90D( a friend).  My 90 D works with 8 Canon Lens + another Tamron,a Tokina, and a samyang lens.  I sent the body in for repairs to the tune of over #300 buck as it was out of warranty- It came backthe same way???  I don't think tey did anything to it as it worked with all Canon lenses??

Any one have any ideas what to try ??. It is a great walk around lens I can use it on my 7D MKII but the 90 D is much lighter and so I liket o use it on the  90D.

Thanks!

39 REPLIES 39

Perhaps nothing but Canon did not update their FW so a Tamron lens will work. So, it is really a moot point, isn't it?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

You seem to be missing the possibility that the other camera is running an earlier firmware version that works with the Tamron lens and that a more recent firmware version does not work with the Tamron lens. I've had Canon cameras in the past that worked just fine with third party batteries (full compatibility - reading serial numbers, numbers of shots, percentage of charge left, etc.) until I updated the firmware and then suddenly the camera would no longer communicate with those third party batteries. Canon seems to love updating firmware to make third party products harder to use with Canon camera bodies.

5DIV, 7DII, EF70-200/2.8 IS II, EF24-70/2.8, EF24-105/4, EF17-40/4, EF50/1.4, EF85/1.8, EF135/2

The camera was sent into the Canon warrant department.  The lens workewd perfectly for 4 months.

The lens was sent in to Tamron and returned under warranty-  Go figure!!

steinr98
Contributor

Both the lens-Tamromn 18-400 lens, and the Canon 90-D were sent to their factories and were gone thru by  their repair departments.  I still have the same problem.  There is a new twist that I followed, I reset the camera to its default settings...  same problems.  I have noticed that this lens works perfectly in "LIVE VIEW" !!!  So what is so different between Live View and Optical viewer ???

Yep- this lens works perfectly on my 7D MKII!

Live View focusing is based on what the sensor sees. OVF uses a secondary sensor and calculates where focus will be. 

The high pixel density of the 90D makes it very sensitive to OVF calibration. You likely need to perform AFMA. See your manual. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

Thanks- will look into it!!  Ron

@steinr98 wrote:

Both the lens-Tamromn 18-400 lens, and the Canon 90-D were sent to their factories and were gone thru by  their repair departments.  I still have the same problem.  There is a new twist that I followed, I reset the camera to its default settings...  same problems.  I have noticed that this lens works perfectly in "LIVE VIEW" !!!  So what is so different between Live View and Optical viewer ???

Yep- this lens works perfectly on my 7D MKII!

I think you are seeing the limits of manufacturing tolerances.  Besides, super zooms like your 18-400mm do not have a reputation for being the sharpest lens in a camera bag.  The engineer sacrifice sharpness for a wider zoom range.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

You may. be correct on tolerances... however this lens works on hundreds of 90Ds on facebook-  and as I mentioned numerous times, this lens worked for 4-5 months on my 90D.  A friend had this lens and I was completely surprised on how sharp it is!  I blew up a few photos to 13 X 19 and they held their sharpness- Yes I reallize it is not a canon "L" series, however for a "Good" walk around lens it is super!

Thanks- I am beginnng to think it just a no go on this body-

Ron

@steinr98 wrote:

You may. be correct on tolerances... however this lens works on hundreds of 90Ds on facebook-  and as I mentioned numerous times, this lens worked for 4-5 months on my 90D.  A friend had this lens and I was completely surprised on how sharp it is!  I blew up a few photos to 13 X 19 and they held their sharpness- Yes I reallize it is not a canon "L" series, however for a "Good" walk around lens it is super!

Thanks- I am beginnng to think it just a no go on this body-

Ron

Your lens is not their lens, and their lenses probably perform just as well on their 90D cameras as your lens does on yours.  

I recommend resetting the camera back to factory defaults, and clear out any AFMA adjustments you might have made.  Start over with a clean slate.  You may have changed some setting that you may have forgotten about, which is negatively impacting performance.

Be sure to disable Face Recognition and iTR, too.  You do not need those enabled for action photography.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
https://support.usa.canon.com/resources/sites/CANON/content/live/ARTICLES/175000/ART175504/en_US/AF_...
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic
Announcements