cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

90D Problem

steinr98
Contributor

YEs I know Canondoes not reconize third party lenses- However please read thru this-  I have a Tamron 18-400 lens that is 5 months old.  This lens worked perfectly for the 5 months. NO wthe lens willnot focus at 200mm or above.  I sent intheLens to 

tamro- they retued in working ordere.  no mention of a problem.  Still des not work above 200mm.  There are countless( and I mean lots of 90D owners on Facebook that use this lens-  Now comes the real problem- This lens works fine on 4 different Canon bodies!! 7D MKII, 5Ti, 5D, another 90D( a friend).  My 90 D works with 8 Canon Lens + another Tamron,a Tokina, and a samyang lens.  I sent the body in for repairs to the tune of over #300 buck as it was out of warranty- It came backthe same way???  I don't think tey did anything to it as it worked with all Canon lenses??

Any one have any ideas what to try ??. It is a great walk around lens I can use it on my 7D MKII but the 90 D is much lighter and so I liket o use it on the  90D.

Thanks!

39 REPLIES 39

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

So, the camera works with every lens you own, except for this one Tamron lens?  Did you report this to Tamron?

You don't have a 90D camera problem.  You have a Tamron lens problem.  Maybe someon else in the forum owns the lens, and is experiencing similar problems with the 90D, too.  This is a pretty small group of users, relatively speaking.  I suggest you try a 90D social media group.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

There are noumrous Canon ownerson Facebook that use this lens no problem.

The. bigthing is this lens works perfectly on my 7D MKII, Another 90D(friend), a Canon 5D.  Lens was sent toTamron and checked under waranty.  UGHhhhh!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the forum.

If I am reading your post correctly, you state that your Tamron lens works perfectly on a friends 90D but not your 90D.

If you switch to LiveView will the lens autofocus at FLs above 200mm?

If you manually focus the lens will you get green dot focus confirmation at FLs above 200mm?

Did you try resetting camera to factory settings?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Greetings,

Not sure how helpful this will be:

If the serial number on your B028 is 077981 or earlier, you are likely running v1 FW

v2 FW adds support for EOS R and RP, but might include something additional not stated in the release notes by Tamron.

I am no stranger to 3rd party lenses... My walk-around is a Sigma.  I won't buy Tamron due to personal preference no matter how good, light, sharp images, etc  Focus ring moving backwards is one reason alone.  Muscle memory is important to me.  Compatibility issues between many of their lenses and bodies is much higher than other 3rd party lenses.  This is all a matter of personal preference and many of their lenses are very good.  

You may want to look at what FW your 90D is running and compare with your friend's.  (same or different)?

If you are sticking with Tamron though and plan to buy other lenses from them, you might as well invest in the Tap-In adapter so you can update their FW.  If you need it just once, the $59 outlay is worth it.

TAMRON | Support

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

"... invest in the Tap-In adapter so you can update their FW.  If you need it just once, the $59 outlay is worth it."

Great idea and I would certainly try it. Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks!  The lens was returned to Tamron under warranty- so it shoiuld be up to date.  This is the only Tasmron lens I have - Had the 150-600 but sold it and purchased the Canon 100-400- It is sharper in my book!  I d do have 1 Sigma lens, 8-12 WA- super lens!!

Thanks all- Am still working on it!  I just sent the camera back to Canon with a full data sheet!!  We shall see- I have been using this lnes on my 7D MKII!.  This lens is super sharp asnd love it as a walk around lens!  I ahve cropped and then printed to 13 X 19 with out lousing any detail!

"This is the only Tasmron lens I have - Had the 150-600 but sold it and purchased the Canon 100-400- It is sharper in my book!"

You must have gotten one rotten 150-600mm Tamron super zoom. You apparently don't have the best lens buying luck!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Will give this a try- Thanks !Lens works on 4 or 5 different Canon Cameras.

Note: This lens worked perfectly fne for 4 months!!!  Tha tis wha tis frustrating!

Announcements