cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

90 degree viewer adaptor size?

RooDog
Contributor

In 1994 I had a 90 degree viewfinder on a Canon A2. I tried putting it on my Canon 70D. It doesn't fit. Do you know the eye cup "Thread" size of these 2 cameras and if there is a way to replace the slider bracket, that slides on the camera eye cup area? Or can I get a converter?

What's strange is on the Canon site, I found a replacement eye cup that says it fits both the A2 and 70D. But its a different size.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

Ray-uk
Whiz

I wish you the best of luck looking for an adaptor. I had a similar venture some time ago, although a different R/A finder and different Canon camera, in the end I gave up and made my own adaptor which wasn't easy.

In the modern Canon range of DSLRs there appears to be 2 sizes of the slotted shoe fitting, canon call these B & C respectively, most Canon film SLRs that I have come across are also B fittings.

** These are my measurements and not official **

A B range camera has a shoe with outer fitting of 24mm and inner fitting of 18.5mm

A C range camera has a shoe with outer fitting of 27.5mm and an inner fitting of 22mm

II know my 50D is a B and my 7D2 is a C.

It is difficult to tell about other models because Canon seems unsure themselves and in some cases have the same models listed as being compatible with both B & C which clearly they cannot be.

The cheap chinese right angle finders come with adaptors to suit most sizes but sadly these are very flimsy and break easily, they are not sold seperately. All it needs is someone with a 3D printer to design an adaptor, I'm sure it would sell.

Thanks much, I guess it might be better just to buy a cheap off brand.  Its all these little extras that sure add up.

I've been using Live View, but its hard to track moving things with Live View, or to first find a flying bird.

I'm in a chair and can't use my hands, so I can't hold a camera up. I have it braced to my chair. I thought the 90 viewer might work. Thanks again.

You are probably better off buying a new one because if I remember correctly the old Canon finder used a mirror which gave a horizontally reversed image, the newer ones including the cheap copies use a prism so the image is correct.

Stephen

Hello RooDog!

RayUK is pretty spot on! The Angle Finder C usually comes with an adapter for Ec-C and Ed-C so it will fit any digital EOS camera. We've dug into our vaults and verified your film A2 uses a B sized viewfinder, so it won't work unless you find a non-Canon adapter. 

Announcements