cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7d mark ii vs 6d mark ii

Sunnybag745
Contributor

Given that I couldnt make a decision about the 80d and 7d ii , I think Ive rulled the 80d after a while now, I have no idea what to do for a few reasons. 1) Would I be able to get away with the image quality of the 7d ii for portraits and landscapes compared to all the FF advantages of the 6d ii 2) One of the large ones would be I have a 17-55mm 2.8 (which I love to death), and is pulling me apart because if I did go with the 6d I would be forced to most likely sell it then have to pay more money for maybe the FF equivalent or a little less leaving me with two extremly zoomed lenses 3) I am also pretty large on video I am aware that the 7d ii doesnt auto focus at 60p, but does at 30p (if thats all I have to worry about then I can deal with it), but I really am looking for the best image quality of the two).

I really do want the fps and stuff out of the 7d, but am not willing to go for it if it means compromising too much in the image quality department. And Ive seen the things about the 6d mark not having good dynamic range and stuff Thoughts??? Ive been a bit vague about a few things so feel free to ask away if more clarificaton could help.

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
If you already own the EF-S 17-55, and love it, then what body are using now?
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Canon eos rebel t6. Had it for long time now and running into some (for me) major ish problems.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

After reading you post, the obvious answer is you need both cameras.  Not wanting to by both, go with the 7D Mk II.  There now wasn't that simple?

BTW, IQ differences between the two is going to be a pixel peeper thing. Is that you? Or, are you living in the real world where a person takes real photos?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Just worried as I see the IQ for video seems to be sub par for the 7d, images side I dont really care what Dxo mark has to say, but saw what they did and well made me worry a bit, but I have seen a few samples online and they did seem a bit soft. But yea I'm not a pixel peeper at all, just worried after doing a few searches on the web.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Sunnybag745 wrote:

Given that I couldnt make a decision about the 80d and 7d ii , I think Ive rulled the 80d after a while now, I have no idea what to do for a few reasons.

1) Would I be able to get away with the image quality of the 7d ii for portraits and landscapes compared to all the FF advantages of the 6d ii

2) One of the large ones would be I have a 17-55mm 2.8 (which I love to death), and is pulling me apart because if I did go with the 6d I would be forced to most likely sell it then have to pay more money for maybe the FF equivalent or a little less leaving me with two extremly zoomed lenses

3) I am also pretty large on video I am aware that the 7d ii doesnt auto focus at 60p, but does at 30p (if thats all I have to worry about then I can deal with it), but I really am looking for the best image quality of the two).

I really do want the fps and stuff out of the 7d, but am not willing to go for it if it means compromising too much in the image quality department. And Ive seen the things about the 6d mark not having good dynamic range and stuff Thoughts??? Ive been a bit vague about a few things so feel free to ask away if more clarificaton could help.

I usually carry two bodies, mainly for one of two reasons.  One, I do not want to change lenses in the field.  Two, I want wide angle of view with a 70-200mm on a full frame, and the crop factor of an APS-C on my 100-400mm.

1).  Image quality will be arguably equal for most shooting scenarios.  The main difference will be wider angle of view, and the potential for narrower DOF with a full frame sensor.

2).  If you bought a full frame sensor body, you would not be able to use the 17-55mm on it.  You could still use it with your current T6 body, however.  The comparable full frame equivalent would be a 24-70mm.  There would be no need to duplicate focal ranges.  A good, inexpensive starter lens for the 6D2 would be the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM, which would be a pretty good portrait lens on the T6.

3).  If you are seriously interested in video, then the 6D2 is definitely the better choice.  It has the latest generation Dual Pixel technology.  In addition to Movie Servo AF with select STM zoom lenses, the 6D2 has IBIS, In Body Image Stabilization.

High frame rate in the body is not as important as focusing speed in your lens.  Both the 7D2 and 6D2 have a setting that allows users to tune AI Servo mode focusing priority, which can slow down FPS with some lenses when set to Image Priority, as opposed to Shutter Speed priority.  I use this setting to cause the camera to always lock focus before firing the shutter in AI Servo AF mode, when used with Continuous Drive shooting mode. 

21875256-F9FF-4ED4-8378-37D509491D10.jpeg

As far as online reviews that have been critical of dynamic range in the 6D, I would ignore them.  While the 6D2 seems to measure slightly less dynamic range than the 6D, bear in mind that the 6D once had the widest dynamic range of any Canon DSLR.  The difference is not visible to the naked eye, and the 6D2 has 30% higher resolution.

The 7D2 is definitely an upgrade over a T6, but so is the 6D2.  You need to decide which is best for you, carrying two APS-C bodies, or one APS-C and one full frame body.  The following shot was taken with a T5, the predecessor to the T6.

Image quality is more about the lenses you use, than the camera bodies.  All bodies are great at ISO 100.

3DC3741F-96FA-4F81-9F81-62142CE5E451.jpeg

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements