cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7d Mark II with a 1.4x teleconverter -- WOO HOO!!!!

jhog1978
Apprentice

So, just a couple of weeks ago, I found myself in an interesting position -- let me explain.

I had a 60D that I had loved for the past 3 years.  But......I have a 100-400 f4-5.6L that I also love.  BUT, I also have a 1.4x teleconverter that I occassionally like to add to the 100-400, for extra reach.  BUT, when I bolt it on, I loose autofocus -- **bleep**!  I do mostly wildlife photography, especially birds, and autofocus makes my life much easier.  I've done my homework, and I understand (as a physicist) what the limitations are, but it is a HUGE thorn in my side.

So, back to my "interesting position" -- my best friend/cousin had a Rebel that he had been doing great work with, since he discovered photography about two years ago.  He was ready to upgreade, and I was in a position to upgrade, even thought I didn't need to (at least, I didn't THINK I needed to).  So, as a (self-serving) action, I decided I would upgrade, and sell my cousin my 60D for a bargain.  I did my research, and decided that my next camera would be a 7d Mark II.  So, we moved on it -- he ended up with a MUCH better camera for a bargain, and I got back onto the "learning curve" that I love so much.

So, to shorten this (already too long) story a bit, I JUST discovered that the 7D Mark II actually permits the 1.4X teleconvertor to actually AUTOFOCUS with the 100-400!!!! Okay, so you have to be in the "center-point" or "center-point + 4 surrounding points" modes, I don't care.  This allows me to do what I need to do, WITH autofocus.

YAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY -- thank you, Canon!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

3 REPLIES 3

cicopo
Elite

AF at f8 is becomming VERY popular isn't it.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Yep  --   Smiley Happy

first, it's my 5D3 after firmware update and now is my 7D2. Nice feature.

Announcements