cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7D Mark II Exposure Level Indicator missing in Manual Mode

oldschool
Contributor

Hi guys

I just put my hand on the long awaited Canon7d mark ii; I was all excited up until I found out that there was no level indicator (horizontal) as it should be, on Manual mode. Weird thing is, all the other modes have the indicator illuminated except in Manual mode, which I believe is the mode whith the greatest need for it. To make matters worse, the vertical level indicator is far off to the right, and not very bright as well. C'mon Canon, you have a great product, but seriously!

9 REPLIES 9

MHampton
Contributor

Look over on the right side of the viewfinder. It is over there and vertical now.

Read my post again, and you'll see that I mentioned the vertical indicator on the right side, which is barely visible compared to the one we normally should see. I just don't understand why the horizontal level indicator is visible in every mode, and ISO Auto and not in M mode.

Oops. Sorry about that. I see that now. And for what it's worth, I agree with you. Manual mode is when I need to see it the most. I've been trying out the auto-ISO so it's been there, but yeah, in regular manual it would be nice for it to be down there as well.

It's allright...I just wrote an email to Canon, to see what kind of cop out or excuse they will come up with. Who knows, maybe a firmware will fix this issue. Just read few posts yesterday, and I soon to notice how anoying this is for many photographers, so hopefully Canon will take it under account.

Firmware won't fix it.

And "the cop out or excuse" (nice - let's call it the reason) is that this is how it's done in the 1D-x and earlier pro bodies - and if it's good enough for pros, we should be able to adjust, eh?

Took me about ten seconds. 

and I soon to notice how anoying this is for many photographers, 

Says who? You and one other guy on an under-used forum which is self-selecting for complaints?

I have trouble seeing it at all - my glasses keep me from getting close enough to get that right side indicator in view. I am very disappointed by this design choice. I prefer to shoot in M with a hard ISO.

Agreed! I've been working with it for 3 weeks now, and when you need a quick reeding, this doesn't make things easy. Still don't understand why the exposure level is visible in every situation, except in Manual mode with hard ISO. Canon gave me the "we are looking at this issue very closely".

Oh, well, that's encouraging. I called and the support guy I spoke with took down my feedback and encouraged me to email them as well. The more of us that contact Canon about this the more likely that they will do something about it. It's the only mar on an otherwise excellent camera.

You're right, the more we talk the better; we're not the only photographers annoyed by this issue.  But you're right, the camera is really awesome! I love it!

Announcements