cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6D with external monitor using HDMI?

TheHulk
Contributor

Hi!

I wonder what resolution Canon 6D puts out using HDMI when shooting stills in "photo mode" and not video. I would like to use a external monitor for live view shooting.

Does the live view signal fill the entire monitor without black bars up and down? I know black bars on left and right side is going to show regardless of monitor size and resolution due to the 3:2 ratio of sensor but I dont want to waste pixels up and down.

Here is specification on the monitor I am interested in: 

http://www.feelworld.cn/ShowInfo.aspx?id=383&py=7-IPS-Ultra-thin-Design-Full-HD-1920x1200-HDMI-On-Ca...

8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Most people connect the camera to a computer via USB, and then use the EOS Utility to perform remote shooting.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

TheHulk
Contributor
I have tried EOS Remote and Canon Connect with WiFi but it show heavy lag and is low in resolution. I only have Apple devices so it does not accept USB interface.

NickMDal
Enthusiast

I have this combo.  The FW759 reports 1080i 60hz.  I've read that the 6D hdmi out image is displayed as 1620x1080, which gives your 3:2.

Switching from video to "photo live view" makes one simple change.  The aspect is corrected to 16:9 by cropping top and bottom also.  The video signal isn't even interrupted when you go from photo to video.

So photo gives you a letterbox look.  Flipping to video simply adds a chop to the top and bottom.

Thank you very much. Great information. 🙂

Is it possible to use zoom mode 5x and 10x (magnifier glass button on camera)?

Do you know what resolution the camera outputs using the "photo mode in live view"? Is the resolution enough if zoomed in 5x or 10x if it is possible?

The cropped view, is it possible to navigate and see the frame that is cropped away?

Really appreciate your first hand information!

5x and 10x magnification both work very well in photo and video mode.  It seems that the hdmi output limitation doesn't apply to smaller sections of the sensor since the net pixels displayed remains within the hdmi output's limit.  Still the magnification is not optical.  You are simply taken to the resolution limit of the sensory itself.  My impression is that it is excellent for focus assist.

I cannot find any way to display either live view or video output as full screen on the FW759.  It doesn't bother me, knowing the camera records outstanding images and quite good video to the memory card.  Once you get used to the FW, you will see there is more than enough info coming through.

Here are some other items that may be useful.  If you buy the FW with the recharge kit expect that battery (rated 6600 mAh) will not be that good.  These sorts of batteries coming from China have a bad track record.  The one they sent me was dead and unchargeable.  The 6600 is also huge and does not balance well with the small (otherwise adequate) hot shoe ball head.  I picked up a Duracell 2200 at Battery World for $50.  The ebay seller is having a replacement sent from China but my expectations are low.

You might also want a 12V 2 amp AC adapter.  The seller recommends 2 amps.  Amazon for $6-7.

The ball head has a loose base.  The lower 1/4 20 thread fits into a tapered thread so that the head can't screw passed 90 degree alignment.  This is a common annoying problem for these ball heads.  J-B Weld is an easy permanent fix.

You'll love the monitor.  Good luck!

Hello NickMDal,

One more question for you. Is it possible to get a grid overlay on the monitor even in magnified mode? Thanks!

Yes it does. It has continuous zoom with grid.  You can use the aspect setting for quick zoom 1 or 2.  You then have Zoom All, which functions like a zoom lens button.  You can even zoom selective parts of the image L/R or U/D.

They did quickly send a 6600 mAh replacement battery.  Haven't tested its actual capacity, but it seems good.

You should just buy it.  It does everything imaginable!

TheHulk
Contributor
Excellent, thank you!

I heard about a seller at eBay who is selling battery packs for LP-E6. Have not any more info but I will try to search and see if I can find.
Announcements