cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6D vs 70D?? which one to buy

canonnewbie2014
Apprentice

HI All,

I am an newbie in photography..its more of an hobby which i got into recently. I am looking to upgrade from my ancient Canon Rebel T1i to either 70D and 6D but i am totally confused which one should i go for. Other than the $700 price difference and full frame vs crop sensor i want to know which one should i go for. I shoot mainly landscape and night time photography and have a tokina wide angle and 24-105 L lens.  Mainly looking for Pros and cons of either cameras and which one would work for better for me and why.

Thank you all in advance for you inputs.

Sam

8 REPLIES 8

trulandphoto
Enthusiast

@canonnewbie2014 wrote:

HI All,

I am an newbie in photography..its more of an hobby which i got into recently. I am looking to upgrade from my ancient Canon Rebel T1i to either 70D and 6D but i am totally confused which one should i go for. Other than the $700 price difference and full frame vs crop sensor i want to know which one should i go for. I shoot mainly landscape and night time photography and have a tokina wide angle and 24-105 L lens.  Mainly looking for Pros and cons of either cameras and which one would work for better for me and why.

Thank you all in advance for you inputs.

Sam

If you have full frame lenses, particularly the 24-105, mostly shoot landscapes and don't intend on buying new lenses I'd say get the 6D. 

The 70D is a nice camera, I have one, but without something wider you're not going to have the tools you need for landscapes.

-------------------------------------
http://trulandphoto.zenfolio.com/
http://trulandphoto.blogspot.com/

cale_kat
Mentor

The 70D has a strong appeal to video shooters because the dual pixel autofocus system allows continuous auto focus when shooting video. That isn't of much benefit if you aren't into video. But the price difference between it and the 6D, is significant. I think you'd enjoy the 6D (better low light sensitivity and overall image quality) but wonder if you would enjoy it $700 more.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Since you indicated an interest in (a) landscape and (b) nighttime (low-light), the 6D is probably going to offer you more benefit.

The 6D deals with low-light better, can focus down to -3EV, and full-frame formats tend to have advantages in landscape photography where wider angles of view is often preferred.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

thank you all for your inputs.  I think i am almost leaning towards the 6D now..but my tokina wide angle 11-16 will be rendered kinda useless :). aaah i guess better picture quality is worth it.

Sam

@canonnewbie2014 wrote:

thank you all for your inputs.  I think i am almost leaning towards the 6D now..but my tokina wide angle 11-16 will be rendered kinda useless :). aaah i guess better picture quality is worth it.

Sam

You could consider the new 7D Mark II. It's a little cheaper than the 6D and would accommodate your Tokina. It figures to be a fine camera, but of course it doesn't advance the ball if your ultimate objective is to go full-frame.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Sounds like you are already close to making your decision but I'm just confirming that you are probably on the right track for your purposes. I have the 70D but since I take wildlife photos I usually need to get as close to my subject as possible and cover it with as many pixels as I can. The APS-c sensors provide that advantage over full-frame sensors. With a manageable 400mm lens I still get better pixel coverage of my subject than a full frame sensor using a gigantic 600mm lens.

For landscapes I would go with the full frame sensor because your intent is very different. Don't foget that full frame sensors have about 4x larger photosites so the signals will be better quantified than with a APS-c sensor (less grainyness). That is what you are paying for!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Sam,

This is you answer!  Smiley Happy

"You could consider the new 7D Mark II."  It makes the most sense in your case.  Plus the 7D Mk II is as close to a full on pro body as Canon makes for less than 3 grand.  Give it a good look before you decide.

Plus the big bemefit of being able to use a wider array of lenses than the 6D can also is a point in it's column.  As for landscapes, don't be fooled into the notion that you can't use a 7D for them.  It will do just fine.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Skirball
Authority

Canonnewbie:

It would help a lot of you looked at what your current camera is not doing for you.  That will tell you what camera, if any, would be best for you.  As you can see by the above, people on internet forums will recommend new gear with absolutely no knowledge of what you shoot, your final format, the troubles and shortcomings you're having, etc.  The T1i isn't ancient; there are many types of photography in which the 70D isn't going to provide any benefit over the 70D.  There are situations where even the 6D won't be much different.  And of course, there are situations where a new camera would benefit significantly.  But without knowing what your issues are, these are all just recommendations to buy something with someone elses money.

Announcements