cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6D gave me really blurry photos?

Sophós
Apprentice

Hello everyone.

I'm posting here hoping to find someone who can help me.

I recently got a 6D mark 2 to shoot my videos and it was all fine. Last night I was asked to take some photos during a meeting but I immediatly saw the lack of quality in all of them. I can't explain this absence of details even in the darkest enviroment or with the slowest shutter...

IMG_7790b.jpg

141 REPLIES 141

@AnaNera wrote:

@AndreaW wrote:

This is the EXACT same problem I am having with my new Canon 6D Mark II camera.  I never had this issue with my Canon 6D camera, therefore, the issue is not the lenses I am using because I tried using 3 different lenses and, unfortunately, had the same result -- fuzzy-looking photos.  😞

Would this be a camera defect?

I have the same problem, photos end up looking horrible. This is one of the fuzzy photos I got.fuzzy.JPG

It is strongly suggested that you send your camera and lens that you used here to Canon for checkout and repair.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

did you ever figure out what it was? I'm having the same issue!

AndreaW
Enthusiast
I think you made a mistake and meant to respond to someone else because your response did not address my issue. My issue has nothing to do with depth of field.

A-

@AndreaW wrote:
I think you made a mistake and meant to respond to someone else because your response did not address my issue. My issue has nothing to do with depth of field.

A-

Do not be so harsh to someone only trying to help you.  Until you post a sample photo of your issue, then no one understands your issue, except for you.  Good Luck.

I wasn't being harsh.  It sounded as though you were responding to someone else's issue.

If you look as the image below you will see that the bassist's hands are fuzzy.  Yes, this photo was taken in low light, however, with the Canon 6D I would not have had this happen.  With the Canon 6D Mark II this "fuzziness" appears in many of my photos, especially around the edges where there is less light.  (And yes, I know all about the importance of light as you will see in my photos:  www.AndreaWattsPhotography.com )

Bass Hands

@Waddizzle wrote:

@AndreaW wrote:

A-

Do not be so harsh to someone only trying to help you.  Until you post a sample photo of your issue, then no one understands your issue, except for you.  Good Luck.

This is message #17.  It is located on page 2, and was posted Feb 2019, which is almost two years ago.  Still waiting.

@AndreaW wrote:

A-

No mistake.  The comment was directed at you.

I'm reading your responses to people who are trying to be helpful, but you're rejecting any ideas that indicate that there is the remotest possibility that the problem is due to the photographer's error.

In the words of Ansel Adams "The most important part of the camera is the 12 inches behind it."

I also tried to explain that if you *really* insist on thinking that the problem must be the camera, then you've got to isolate all other possibilities by taking a test shot using proper testing techniques so that the things like camera movement, photographer movement, subject movement, focus position, shutter speed, etc. can't possibly be the reason for a blurred shot.  But this means using proper test targets and tripods.

Your shot doesn't have any EXIF data attached.  But the issue with the musician's hands is caused by motion blur.  There's no mistake here ... that is motion blur.  If you think otherwise, then you're still not familiar with it.  

I use motion blur on purpose.  Here's an example:

43489027021_34719b533a_b.jpg

To freeze motion ... shutter speeds of around 1/250th *might* freeze motion if it isn't moving very fast (and close inspection will usually reveal some blur).  For fast-moving subjects you can need shutter speeds of 1/1000th sec or faster.  THIS shot was taken at just 1/125th (I've taken motion blur at much slower speeds).  The image is tack-sharp.  You can count the whiskers on his face.  You can see the fine detail in his face, hands, and torso.  But his legs and shoes are blurred (they are moving relative to his body) and while the bike frame is tack-sharp, the wheels and spokes are blurred.  The background is blurred due to the effects of motion because the camera lens was swinging from left to right "following" the rider.    The whole effect is done on purpose to create a sense of high-speed motion in a "still" photograph.

The musician's hands in your photo are blurred due to the effects of motion (I have many such examples myself).

Here's one:

IMG_0941.jpg

That was shot using my 5D II (I no longer own that camera body) using a Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM lens ... at f/2.  So depth of field is shallow.   It was also shot at ISO 6400 & 1/60th sec.  There's a bit of noise (I've de-noised it a bit via Lightroom but used masking to protect the "edges") but 1/60th isn't fast enough to freeze the motion blur of his hands.  

The background here is blurred (notice the drum-set in the lower right), not due to motion blur, camera defects, or lens defects ... but because this was shot at f/2 ... so the blur you see in the background is due to being well-outside the depth-of-field.

You can send your camera to Canon if you wish.   They'll send it back with a report that they were unable to find defects and the camera is performing to spec.

You may want to pick up a good read such as Bryan Peterson's book "Understanding Exposure".

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

I'm glad you posted the picture of the musician because it illustrates a lot of what I am talking about.  Take a look at his left hand -- not the hand with the obvious motion blur.  Do you see the fuzziness on his hand?  I am getting that fuzziness wherever the lighting isn't strong -- even when the musician ISN'T MOVING.  That is the issue, not the motion blur.  🙂

By the way, great color in that photo!  It's a shame his hands came out looking that way as his right hand looks deformed with all of the blur.  It could have really been a nice shot. 

Two things are happening with the hand on the fret bar.  First, this is a very shallow depth of field.  The DoF is maybe 6" (I'm thinking I'm probably 14-15' away).  You can calculate DoF by using websites like DOFmaster.com (DOF marks are common on old lenses and some modern lenses still have them.  But modern lenses are usually designed to adjust focus faster (less turning of the focus ring ... basically they are not "geared" the same) so even the lenses that have DoF marks usually have them fairly tight together.

Anyway, the musician would have been moving his left hand (on the right in this photo) along the neck to switch from chord to chord.  But it's also close enough that it's no longer within the DoF.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@AndreaW wrote:

I'm glad you posted the picture of the musician because it illustrates a lot of what I am talking about.  Take a look at his left hand -- not the hand with the obvious motion blur.  Do you see the fuzziness on his hand?  I am getting that fuzziness wherever the lighting isn't strong -- even when the musician ISN'T MOVING.  That is the issue, not the motion blur.  🙂

By the way, great color in that photo!  It's a shame his hands came out looking that way as his right hand looks deformed with all of the blur.  It could have really been a nice shot. 

Andrea it is still a really nice shot. Motion blur isn't necessarily  detractive in a photo as it illustrates movement.

As for the left hand it is a combination of motion blur and beginning to be out of the depth of field.

The capo by the left hand is sharper than the left hand, but, becoming soft being near the front edge of the depth of field.

The left hand is even softer than the capo as the softness of being towards the front edge of the depth of field is exaggerated by slight movement. The impact of those two things are additive. 

Announcements