cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5d Mark IV Metering / over exposure with same settings and lighting

sdkstudio
Apprentice

I'm shooting product and taking several shots with same settings with the following: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Lens EF100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Setting f32 / 1.6 ISO 100 without making any changes or any adjustments to lighting or settings, every 3rd or 4th shot i get an overexposed image. below is 2 examples that i just shot for this post

sample1.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

"I'll test with some incandescent lighting since it's continuos."

You can try that but it will not help. Your problem is not light flicker.  You have a correct exposure and then you have an over exposure, by several stops.  If light flicker is happening the light flickers off, not brighter.  Which is what you would need to get an over exposure. A two second SS will see the same amount of flickers anyway! 

Since you are shooting at f32, I will bet the lens is not closing all the way down to f32 on the over exposure. This could be due to a faulty lens and is almost the only way your problem can happen.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

34 REPLIES 34

@Salixian wrote:

I know that this is an old but recurring thread, but I am having the same problem (in the UK). I have two Canon cameras, a 7D mk2 (absolutely no issues) and a 5D mk4. I have different Canon lenses and experience the same problem whatever the lens, in fact I have swopped lenses, changed batteries and cards, all with no effect. Virtually all my photos are taken outdoors. I can take consecutive photos of the same subject without changing the settings and have one photo which is perfectly fine and the next which is horribly exposed. I notice that the speed goes up to 1/8000 and will not reduce. I sent the camera back to Canon and it was returned (I was out of warranty, just) but no difference, same problem still. I thought that I was going mad until I read these posts. I am getting to the point where I cannot use the 5D because it is so unreliable, very disappointed.

You need to start your own thread.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

That's a massive issue Sallixian - much worse than ours that only concerned overexposure with Canon dedicated flash units.

"Yes my camera is The 5d mark IV"

As asked above, my next question was going to be, are you using Canon brand lenses? Might as well ask if all your gear is Canon brand?

It is highly, extremely, unlikely it is the camera at fault if two different models are experiencing the exact same issue. Most of the time photographic gear, especially in the quality level of Canon, does exactly what we tell them to do.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

We have established some level of resolution . By holding down the C Fn. on the ex600 we can reset to ETTL. (The flash unit for some unknown reason has been switching to TTL which produces a full power (maximum) flash - hence the massive overexposure of close ups.   (Yes - all our equipment is Canon).  We have experienced this overexposure issue on both ex580 and ex600 flash units.

@sm60 wrote:

Yes my camera is The 5d mark IV

This is confusing.  You need to start your own thread for your issue, instead of piggy backing onto an old thread.  Thank-you.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
click here to view the gallery
Announcements