cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D or 1Ds mark ii

ernrocks99
Apprentice

Im looking to upgrade from a Nikon D300s.  I would like some opinions on which body would offer me the better picture quality and high ISO performance.  I shoot mainly portraits and bands in studio and on location, including live shows.  Any input is greatly appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5

cicopo
Elite

I'll assume you're asking about either the 5D mark 2 or 3 & not the original 5D. I've been shooting a 1Ds2 for the last 5 years & I had a 5D when I bought the 1Ds2 and I bought a 5D2 when it first came out but sold it about 4 months later. IQ of the 5D2 & 1Ds2 is extremely close & someone once posted that he felt you'd need to print at the size of a living room wall to see a difference, which I agree with. I've stuck with the 1Ds2 because of the better AF which I need for action, & although I only tried it once it seemed adaquate in low light but for your intended use I think the 5D2 or 3 will be the better camera. The 1Ds2 can shoot decently at ISO 1600 but most prefer to stay at or under ISO 800 with it. My testing of the 5D2 shooting  ISO 3200 was (in my opinion) as good as the 1Ds2 did at ISO 800, & from everything I've read the 5D3 can do ISO 6400 and deliver a similar photo. AF of the 5D3 is considered to be better than any 1 series body except the new 1Dx.

Based on everything I've read, and I've done a lot of research on the D800, 1D mark 4 & the 5D3 I'd recommend the 5D3 as the right Canon body without breaking the bank followed by the 5D2 if you need to save a bit for lenses.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I am also going to assume you are comparing a 5D Mk II or III to the 1Ds Mk II.

Having used both, my personal prefferecne would be the 5D Mk II, if money was an issue otherwise the Mk III. Mostly becausde of the improved menu control system on the 5D's. The 5D Mk III is a wonderful camera and I consider it a big improvenment over the 1Ds Mk II.

If you are truly selecting between a 5D and the 1Ds Mk II, get the 1Ds Mk II.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

RLPhoto
Contributor

D700?

My Canon Prime Trinity + 24-105L
24L II - 50L - 135L
www.RamonLperez.com

See my post about Canon repairs....they will no longer serviced the 1Ds2 and have stopped making parts

Announcements