cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5D Mk II randomly shuts off during video recording

avidediter
Contributor

have 4 cameras in our production environment 2 5D Mk IV, 1 5D Mk III and 1 5D Mk II. All Canon made lenses, battery grips and batteries. CF Cards all are Delkin that write at 67 MB/s. We shoot 1080p All I Frame. Been shooting with these cards and and camera firmware @ 2.12 for a long time with no issue.

Just last week, our Mk II randomly stopped recording. Regardless of which CF card was inserted. No specific time length of the clip it created either.  The camera has done this about 4 more times since the first time we noticed it. The clips all stop under 1 minute (varying total lengths). 

Anyone else encounter this issue? If so what was the fix? I assume this may require sending to service center, just wanted any other advice.

11 REPLIES 11

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

How many hours of video recording would you estimate that camera has collected?  

Does it take still photos?  Photos, using Live View, too?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

avidediter
Contributor
Hundreds of hours of video. Thousands of still photos. Does everything you are inquiring. Just randomly shuts down. But every shoot it stops once or twice and we shoot 3 times a week indoor kitchen studio

@avidediter wrote:
Hundreds of hours of video. Thousands of still photos. Does everything you are inquiring. Just randomly shuts down. But every shoot it stops once or twice and we shoot 3 times a week indoor kitchen studio

It sounds like it could be overheating.  There are warning icons that appear on the LCD when a camera begins to overheat.  Keep an eye out for them.

If you have gotten hundreds of hours of video out of it, then you are ahead of the game.  Just make sure that your SD cards are not too large, that you format the card in the camera that uses the card, and that you avoid using those micro-SD cards with adapters.

avidediter
Contributor
I Use CF cards only in the Mk2. It probably is an overheat issue. Its a 4th camera now anyway

skodie
Apprentice

I found my 5D mk2 will shut down after about 7 hours of time-lapse using a mains adapter. My only option is to open and close the battery door which resets the shutdown process.

skodie
Apprentice

I found my 5D mk2 will shut down after about 7 hours of time-lapse using a mains adapter plugged into the battery compartment. My only option is to open and close the battery door which resets the shutdown process.

qbnmusica1
Apprentice
I had this issue and as soon as I removed the card from the secondary slot it stopped. But yesterday my Mark III went bezerk during a shoot and kept breaking up files every 8 minutes or so this is making me crazy!!!!!! Then it shut off completely during a long taping this will kill me in editing now!

@qbnmusica1 wrote:
I had this issue and as soon as I removed the card from the secondary slot it stopped. But yesterday my Mark III went bezerk during a shoot and kept breaking up files every 8 minutes or so this is making me crazy!!!!!! Then it shut off completely during a long taping this will kill me in editing now!

Sounds like overheating.  If this is the case, then there should be a warning icon that warns of overheating.  

1FC368FD-B202-4DB4-A05A-1A0B2560D8D4.jpeg

All Canon bodies display the red icon.  The white icon is used on the advanced bodes.

avidediter
Contributor
I solved my problem by retiring the Mk2 and buying a Mk4
Announcements