cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is a good lens to take to Montana

susie55
Apprentice

I have a Canon T3i but may want to rent a wide angle lens...I presently have 2 kit lens

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Do you anticipate taking many pictures of wildlife?  Unless, you plan out a trip for the express purpose of photographing wildlife, it is unlikely that you will capture many shots of wildlife by carrying a big lens in your bag, just in case.  You are more likely to scare off the wildlife because they may notice you long before you spot them.

The best wildlife shoots are carefully planned out in advance, taking advantage of knowledge about the particular wildlife that you wish to photograph.  For example, constructing a blind near a known area for birds to gather, and then occupying the blind before sunrise, and staying inside of it for hours at a time. 

If you have a camera kit 70-300mm lens, you may be disappointed by the image quality when you take critical photos, if you have not been already.  With an APS-C camera body, a 600mm maximum focal length would give you an equivalent 35mm focal length of 960mm.  Without some practice, it will be difficult to capture sharp pictures by handholding the camera with a lens at that focal length. 

Long zooms can be expensive, and quite heavy to carry.  They come with a learning curve, if you have never used one.  You would need to carry one in its' own bag, or you would need a large backpack to carry it with the rest of your gear.  You would definitely benefit from carrying a fairly robust tripod, in order to support the weight of super telephoto lens.  In the outdoors, wind can be a detrimental factor.  Wind can shake a light tripod, especially one weighed down with a heavy load.

If feel the need to carry a long zoom, I would recommend one of the 70-200mm lenses, and leave your camera kit 70-300mm zoom at home.  You can capture pretty good, casual wildlife photos without using a super-telephoto lens.  Your APS-C body can turn a 70-200mm lens into a 35mm equivalent of 112-320mm, which is close to the focal range of Canon's 100-400mm zooms. 

One of the two Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L lenses, either with or without IS, could be a good choice.  I would put a priority on traveling light, and less so on being prepared for every scenario.  Remember, you can always crop a photo taken with a quality lens, and still wind up with a good result.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I would also take along either the EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, or the EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM. 

I've never used the 10-18mm, but the 10-22mm has very good image quality.  Do you have a good travel tripod?  Using a tripod for landscape shots allows you to be more creative.  For example, affording you the opportunity to take HDR shots.

[EDIT]  Using a tripod to level the camera for your wide angle shots makes shots look better, too.

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Besides the big sky, there is probably plenty of wildlife. You would probably want at least a EF 70-300, or even one of the newer third party 150-600's

Such as Tamaron...?  The only thing about that is the space and lugging on hikes ...

Do you anticipate taking many pictures of wildlife?  Unless, you plan out a trip for the express purpose of photographing wildlife, it is unlikely that you will capture many shots of wildlife by carrying a big lens in your bag, just in case.  You are more likely to scare off the wildlife because they may notice you long before you spot them.

The best wildlife shoots are carefully planned out in advance, taking advantage of knowledge about the particular wildlife that you wish to photograph.  For example, constructing a blind near a known area for birds to gather, and then occupying the blind before sunrise, and staying inside of it for hours at a time. 

If you have a camera kit 70-300mm lens, you may be disappointed by the image quality when you take critical photos, if you have not been already.  With an APS-C camera body, a 600mm maximum focal length would give you an equivalent 35mm focal length of 960mm.  Without some practice, it will be difficult to capture sharp pictures by handholding the camera with a lens at that focal length. 

Long zooms can be expensive, and quite heavy to carry.  They come with a learning curve, if you have never used one.  You would need to carry one in its' own bag, or you would need a large backpack to carry it with the rest of your gear.  You would definitely benefit from carrying a fairly robust tripod, in order to support the weight of super telephoto lens.  In the outdoors, wind can be a detrimental factor.  Wind can shake a light tripod, especially one weighed down with a heavy load.

If feel the need to carry a long zoom, I would recommend one of the 70-200mm lenses, and leave your camera kit 70-300mm zoom at home.  You can capture pretty good, casual wildlife photos without using a super-telephoto lens.  Your APS-C body can turn a 70-200mm lens into a 35mm equivalent of 112-320mm, which is close to the focal range of Canon's 100-400mm zooms. 

One of the two Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L lenses, either with or without IS, could be a good choice.  I would put a priority on traveling light, and less so on being prepared for every scenario.  Remember, you can always crop a photo taken with a quality lens, and still wind up with a good result.

That is the issue.

Note that you can rent the lenses fairly economically, just for the trip. And if youtry it and like it you might be able to buy the copy you have.

@kvbarkley wrote:

That is the issue.

Note that you can rent the lenses fairly economically, just for the trip. And if youtry it and like it you might be able to buy the copy you have.

I think the idea of carrying along a big lens is good one, that is until you start to look at the logistics of doing so. 

How do you safely transport it to and from Montana?  Maybe, looking into a lens rental picked up in Montana is a pursuit worth investigating.  Using a big lens well requires a learning curve, which may take more time than the trip. 

How would you carry a super telephoto with you "into the field"?  Will you need to purchase a backpack just to haul it aorund?  How much added weight, and a burden, would a big lens be on a long hike?

How likely is it that you need a tripod, in order to use the big lens effectively?  If you're new to a big lens, it just might be mandatory that you carry along a robust tripod, just for the big lenses.

Personally, I think those 150-600mm lenses are good, but maybe a bit too much to someone new to super telephotos going on a cross country trip.  I think something smaller like the EF 100-400mm lenses, especially on an APS-C sensor body, could be a better choice.  They're much lighter, which makes it far easier to pack, carry, and maybe even handhold.

I just assumed that the dictum that "nothing is photogenic if it is 50 ft from the car" 8^) applied here.

While a special case, when I was at Grand Tetons, There were a bunch of cars by the side of the road. We stopped out of curiousity and found a moose contendely grazing with about 100 people snapping photos.

In Yellowstone, we came across a herd of bison in the road one early morning. I already shared my image of the mountian goat just on the side of the road in Zion.

Admittedly, only the moose needed the 500 mm lens.

And for hiking I would just take the 70-300.

"I just assumed that the dictum that "nothing is photogenic if it is 50 ft from the car" 8^) applied here." 

Like I said earlier, without careful planning, capturing native wildlife is going to be unlikely.

----------------------------------------------------------------

"While a special case, when I was at Grand Tetons, There were a bunch of cars by the side of the road. We stopped out of curiousity and found a moose contendely grazing with about 100 people snapping photos." 

Wow.  Those people had no idea just how dangerous an alarmed and agitated moose can be.  Those are very strong, wild animals.  I once saw a big bull, which stood a good 7-8 feet at the shoulder, become angry at a car that was blowing its' horn for it to get out the road.  The moose became agitated, dropped his head, and rammed the front grill of the car, which was probably where the horn sound was originating.  The moose busted the radiator with one shot, BAM, and seemed hardly dazed by it.

[EDIT]  A frightened deer will run from you.  A frightened moose will attack you because it knows it cannot run.  Flight or Fight.

This one was on the other side of the river, and a ranger was there to prevent anyone from doing anything stupid.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements